• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Railrod ad Dispatcher 3/0s "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This watch has me puzzled. To look at the dial it appears that it was originally intended to be a wristwatch. The "grade name" insode, "Railroad Dispatcher," would also indicate that it was not meant to be a ladies watch. When it was made women were not likely working as railroad dispatchers. According to the Illinois book it is a grade 21, made in 1916, which, according to common knowledge, is earlier than you would ecpect for a man's wristwatch.

posted
So what happened? Was this stock of ladies pendent watches that was left over in the factory and later adapted for wristwatch use? The price guide identifies more than one size pocket watch with the Railroad Dispatcher name, but nothing smaller. Can anyone throw some light on this question?

posted
The dial leaves a lot to be desired, but I thought that I should leave it as original. I'm not sure anyone could do anything with the metalic facing anyhow. What do you think? Should I have it worked on?

Steve G.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Steve,

I would inquire with International Dial to refinish the face. I would be willing to bet they could do it.

Steve

Dial refinishing

posted
Thanks Steve. I will check with them.

Steve

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Steve,
Check this out for an early 1900's wrist watch.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/990103944/m/3321064632/p/1

posted
I like how the photos put the watches in context. That is a great... whatever you call it. Website? Thanks!