Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

16sz Bunn 19 Jewel 60 hour #4598720 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
16sz Bunn 19 Jewel 60 hour #4598720

The watch was running when I bought it. But not well. So I took it apart to clean and put a new mainspring. To my surprise. This is what the bottom pivot of balance staff looked like. Someone pointed it and made a brass jewel for it to run in.

IHC Life Member
posted
So I gave it to my friend Doug Weaver to straighten it out. He had to reinstall 4 balance screws. And staff and jewel to get it running good.

IHC Life Member
posted
I of coarse put it in this nice display case.
It came with the dial. And hands in the photo.
Serial # 4598720

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Very nice Eugene, beautiful TYPE 1 movement and that “Fat 6, Flat 3. Arrows in” dial is pretty rare as well. The Sangamo kite hands are a nice touch as well. Only 750 of that movement variant were produced.

IHC Life Member
posted
Steve I consider you a expert on these. Are the dial and hands correct for this year.
This is the way it came.

IHC Life Member
posted
The watch butcher removed a bunch of screws to over come the extra friction of the bottom triangle pivot.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Eugene, when Hamilton took over the Illinois Watch company the vaults were cleaned out. This may have been one of the many leftover movements they had to dispose of and used whatever leftover parts they could find to get these out the door. I say this mainly because of the Sangamo kite hands, these would not have been installed when the movement was originally produced. Several of these movements were sold after 1930 with Hamilton style dials. Materials were not wasted back then and I think this is a prime example of that.

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Another butchered watch. good save Eugene.

IHC Life Member
posted
The thanks go to IHC Member Doug Weaver.

He dedicated the patience to make it right.

Thank you Doug!

IHC Member 1650
posted
Thanks Gene.

I love a challenge!