Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A couple of acquired Bunn Specials "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Here are a couple of my latest acquisitions. The first one is a 16 size, 21 jewel, Bunn Special 60 HOUR Type IIIA. it is from 1928 and is in a very nice Model 28 case. It needs a main spring but that will get taken care of. Anyone care to decifer the initials?

Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
This second one is a 1915 16 size 21 jewel Bunn Special and it looks to be all original. This is the variant that came out after the fish scale movement and was the start of the 4th Rayed pattern. This one is a little different from the more common Bunn Specials as this has "Temperature" fully spelled out. There were 7700 made like this and the later style just had "Temp" on the movement. I would much rather collect these older and less common variants in the 21 jewel variety.

Steve

Steve

IHC Life Member
Picture of Mitch Markovitz
posted
The initials, left to right, are J L S, which means the owner's initials were J.S.L.

In those days, and even into now the custom with calligraphied initials places the initial for the last name larger, and in the center.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Nice watches Steve.....You are really building a nice collection of Illinois....

Where do you find all the data info on all these Illinois...? You seem to know everything about all your watches and I can't even find out about a serial number without paying $5.00 or so for a days use of a database....It will be nice when we have more info available on the Illinois watches....

Mitch you are a very knowledgeable person and it is nice to have you among us here at IHC 185....I never knew that the calligraphy initials were done in that manner....Now I need to go back a look at my watches that are engraved in that manner....Thanks for the lesson....

Regards,
Jerry

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Mitch,

Thanks for decoding the initials on the back. After you said what it was it began to make sense.

Jerry,

I have a copy of the Illinois Bible for really serious research but I also have a copy of the database running in the backround of the computer desk top. When scanning through ebay listings I can get all the information in a matter of a couple of seconds.....really handy. And thanks for the compliments. I have at least one example of all the variants for 17 and 19 jewel O/F 16 size Bunns and an example of each of most of the 21 jewel variety.

I have been planning on doing some informational postings on some of the differences of these variants.

Steve

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Steve - beautiful watches! I was going to say that if you don't already have one of every variant, you must be close!

When you have time, please post info and pictures of the differences among the variants. It would be most helpful to the rest of us who can't always tell.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Mitch Markovitz
posted
It's my pleasure to join in with you, and to be of service.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Mary Ann,

I am getting ready to start doing this beginning with the 16 size 17 jewel O/F as I have examples of both of those variants. They will be appearing in the Illinois forum in the next couple of days.

I will then move on to the 19 Jewel versions followed by the 21 Jewel Bunns including the 60 Hour models. I hope you all find it interesting and helpful when you are out doing your searches.

Steve

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
To Steve and all who will contribute, that would be great! Like the other databases here on IHC185, they provide an important research tool for those of us wanting to learn more about the various watch companies.