Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

not just another bunn special "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of James H. Miller
posted
hi
here's another one i would be very happy if someone would look up for me.it is a 18 size bunn special 21 jewels it is hunter case and two tone movement.i do not think a lot of these were made but i would like to know how many.s.n. 1448994
thanks

posted
James,

I think 4,480 made of 20 runs.1895-1900,your was made in the year 1898 from 1448401 to 1449000.

Andrea Smile

posted
hi thanks,
i could see maybe that many as hunter case however i dont think they made that many two tone.but then i have been wrong before.did your info say two tone?
thanks james

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
James
Any chance of a photo, it looks like they list several different patterns for the hunter, if I read this right they would be;

Circular pattern 1,380
Gold inlaid circle 3,100
Bright spotted 800

Tom

posted
hi tom,
how are you i havnt talked to you for a while?i just won it on ebay today here is the number 250339844011.
thanks james

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi James

Nice to hear from you & nice watch, I almost bought one like that in a shop in Ft. Collins but I just didn't have the money at the time. Didn't have as fancy a case as yours, I like the big shoulders on that.

I am guessing yours is the gold inlaid circle pattern which shows 3100 made if I am reading this book right.

Stay warm up there this winter, we have had a few storms already & it looks like we might get some snow tonight.

Tom

posted
Hi James,

"Gold-inlaid circle (3d pattern)-black -filled engraving"

Movements are in two tone,and some early run marked Baltimore & Ohio,Montgomery Ward and Brown's special.

"Double Sunk glass enamel fancy roman numeral or bold gothic style Arabic numeral dial marked illinois watch co. in old English"

Beautifull watch bytheway! Eek

Congratulations for your purchase

Andrea Smile

posted
thanks Tom and Andrea,
i do wonder when the canadian dials first showed up?

posted
James,

I have found this information about the Canadian dials:

"It was during this time, that a uniquely Canadian variant of the railroad watch began to appear, and it is here that we begin our look at the watches and history of the Canadian Pacific Railway.

In 1881, the Canadian Pacific Railway finally began building the transcontinental railway. The CPR received $25 million and 25 million acres of land in exchange for building the railway across Canada. By 1883, the CPR had adopted 24 hour time as a standard, and it was required that all watches used in company service be equipped with the now familiar 24 hour dial. Indeed, this dial has become accepted as the "Canadian" or "Canadian Railroad" dial.

Even more unique were the Waltham watches commissioned by the CPR directly. These were mostly models 1883, and 1892, although some model 1908s were included. These movements were unique in that engraved on them was the CPR logo of a beaver and shield. Waltham serial number lists indicate that between 1897 and 1919 4570 of these "CPR Walthams" were produced for the railway. Another variant commissioned by CP from Waltham was the Canadian Railway Time Service" watch, again, mostly 1883 and 1892 models. These watches had the words "Canadian Railway Time Service" engraved on the back plates. It should be noted that the Waltham factory serial numbers are not entirely accurate, as there exist examples of both CPR and CRTS Walthams that exist outside the given serial number ranges. Nevertheless, only about 6000 of these unique CPR watches were ever made."

I hope it helps,

Andrea Smile

posted
wow that helps a lot thanks for everything Andrea and Tom.
james

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
James, That looks great, I paid almost that much for the 2-tone 21 Jewel "plain" Hunter, and yours is a real winner, you stole it. You know they "us'ta hang them hars-theefs".

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is Megger's Page on it, 3100 were made in HC. Also these clean up very very nicely. Enjoy!

posted
wow David thats a real nice watch.if the one i have coming is near that nice i will be happy.i love the info you get from that book of yours.what chances do you give me the dial on that one of mine came with it?
thanks james

posted
My great-grandfather's watch is a very similar one to this (the movement, not the face) and I'm just getting around to researching it this Christmas. Thank you for this site, it has helped a lot. If anyone knows of any other resources that talk about the rose-coloured circular inlay, I would love to hear about them. I have seen the "gold inlay" ones, and they also have gold screws, which mine (like the one pictured here) does not.

I'll have to pose the question officially elsewhere, but if anyone wants to wager a guess, the serial number is 1597035. The only difference from the one pictured is that the smaller plate on the bottom is more rounded, and the Bunn Special lettering curves more.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

Everett

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Everett,

That plate on yours looks a little different because the one above is a Hunter model and yours is an open face.

Steve