WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Open to the World RESEARCH FORUMS  Hop To Forums  Illinois Watch Company Research Forum    18-Size RRG Illinois Movement Variety Images -- YOUR HELP IS REQUESTED!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

18-Size RRG Illinois Movement Variety Images -- YOUR HELP IS REQUESTED! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
3 Pointed top 4

IHC Member 1541
posted
4 Bold Gothic AN Montgomery dial signed Illinois in plain bold Arabic. On a 19J Bunn

IHC Member 1541
posted
5 Serif top 4. On a 21J Bunn Special

IHC Member 1541
posted
6 This watch 4432413 was in the last run of 18s 21j Bunn Specials

IHC Member 1541
posted
7 Same as my #4 but with arched signature. On a 23J Bunn Special

IHC Member 1541
posted
8 Now here's an early RN dial with Illinois Watch Co. in script. (Photo Credit : Lorne Wasylishen)

IHC Member 1541
posted
9 On a 21J Bunn Special

IHC Member 1541
posted
10 On a 21J Bunn Special

IHC Member 1541
posted
11 Very similar to #9 but for arched signature, bolder 1-12 font and the 5 minute markers are more rectangular.

On a 23 J Bunn Special

IHC Member 1541
posted
Ed, the third Bold Gothic Arabic Numeral Dial should read Pointed-Top Four. You have Serif-Top Four in there twice.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Thanks Lorne, got it. A bit too much copy/pasting there. With any luck I should be able to get the rest of the dial images in tomorrow,

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC Member 1541
posted
Do you want me to keep posting dial photos and you can use what you need or do you have enough to work with?

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
I'd love to have you post more images if you can find better versions of ones already posted or variants not posted yet.

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC Member 1541
posted
Ha Ha, they are all variants to me. Actually though my head is spinning sometimes this has been quite fun.

The more I find the harder I have to look but I will keep them coming.

IHC Member 1541
posted
12 On a Bunn Special 23J

IHC Member 1541
posted
13 On a Bunn Special 21J

IHC Member 1541
posted
14 On a Bunn Special 21J Very scarce according to J&H

IHC Member 1541
posted
It's a bit frustrating that in the sale where everything was Bunn and Bunn Special 18s almost all of the pictures were bezel on.

Sometimes it's not a problem but on #13 above it is difficult to see the R5MT

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Nice pics Lorne! I'll be using that fancy RM PL dial.

On the subject of R5MT's, there seems to be several different types, but I don't think I can afford to post different types for each style of dial, the number of pics would get out of hand. I'll just show several basic types and let it go at that.

After all, we're not trying to create an encyclopedia here, just a collector's guide.

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC Member 1541
posted
15 Retake of my Canadian dial on 17J Bunn

IHC Member 1541
posted
16 Bunn Special 26J

IHC Member 1541
posted
17 Illinois 18S Model 6 24J S#1711962 in Keystone RGP OF PP NOS case, c1904. DS AN 24 hr Montgomery dial. Scarce NI full plate mvt is signed “24 Ruby Jewels, Bunn Special and DR” and is “not in books”.

IHC Member 1541
posted
17b Just so I don't lose this one I'll post it here. It is fronted by the above dial #17
Illinois 18S Model 6 24J S#1711962 in Keystone RGP OF PP NOS case, c1904. DS AN 24 hr Montgomery dial. Scarce NI full plate mvt is signed “24 Ruby Jewels, Bunn Special and DR” and is “not in books”.

IHC Member 1541
posted
I'll keep looking but pickin's are slim. If you have anything in particular that you need just post it here and I'll see if I can find it.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Good job Lorne. It'll take me a while to upload all you've given me. One thing I'd really like to get is a better pic of the 6th Pattern. I'm not at home so i can't rephotograph my watch and that watch has a broken whip spring. The only example I could find on eBay has a lot of plate damage from over-agressive cleaning.

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC Member 1541
posted
18 I could only find two other examples of the 6th pattern but broken whip aside yours is better than these. I tried to punch some life into the first one but couldn't make something out of nothing.

IHC Member 1541
posted
19 I didn't try to enhance this one, perhaps you can bring it to life.

IHC Member 1541
posted
20. Dial deleted as it was 16s. may as well save the space

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Lorne, I guess I'll have to wait till I can replace the whip spring on my 6th Pattern example and can take a better picture of it. It does have very nice plates.

That D.R. marked 24-jewel example makes perfect sense because it is in the same movement number range as Variety 3 of the 21-jewel Bunn Specials that have the same markings (1711401-1712000).

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC Member 1541
posted

IHC Member 1541
posted
I found a better way to search J&H so I think I have seen every 18s Bunn and Bunn Special.

Did you want Ferguson dials?

Anything more you need don't hesitate to ask, I'll see if I can find it for you.

This has been a hoot, it's kind of like finding watches at an auction but I don't have to lay out any cash.

What's next, adjustment variations?

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Lorne,

Yes, it has been a hoot indeed. I haven't been so stoked about watches in years. I agree, it's "the thrill of the hunt" but I must confess to doing some buying as well.

Ferguson Dials? I love them, as you can see from my avatar, but they were aftermarket items, so I don't think they belong here.

Some time I's like to put together a separate photo archive of just Ferguson dials & hands, but that's a later project.

That D.R. marked 24-jewel example you posted (movement #1711962) makes perfect sense because it is in the same movement number range as Variety 3 of the 21-jewel Bunn Specials that have the same markings (1711401-1712000).

Meggers identifies no 24-jewel Variety marked D.R. but now we know they do indeed exist. The D.R. marking was thought to be too vague, which is why it was quickly dropped in favor of Double Roller. This is why D.R. marked movements are so scarce.

I'm glad you found that one, which will be cool to mention when I get into discussing the movement marking Varieties, which is the the last major topic I plan to cover. That's an example of something that has come to light since 1985. Congrats on "discovering" a new variety of 24-jewel Bunn Special! Big Grin

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC Member 1541
posted
22. Another dial