Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Information/date Illinois Hoyte "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello, y'all.
This is my first post here, I expect to have a few. However, to begin with, I wonder if anyone could give any information about date of manufacture, and approximate value of an Illinois Hunter, movement #7720, marked Hoyte, in a coin silver case. I don't really want an appraisal, as I'm not interested in selling the watch, but I'd like a ballpark number for insurance valuation. I traded a gun for the watch about 7 or 8 years ago. The gun was a gift, so I really have no idea what this watch is worth. It keeps good time, and the dial has no cracks.
Thanks,
Frank Brower
Bangor, Alabama

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
There needs to be more research done on this early watch. But I will take the initial "plunge".

I believe your watch was made in Apr. 1873. It is a KW, H/C, Model 1, and of apparently 9-11 Jewels. It is unadjusted and sold for $11.85 new. Named for the Foreman of the "Train" finishing room, Otis T. Hoyt, your watch was from a run of 1000 from Jan 12th to Apr 13th 1873.

Yours has the course or "slow train" which relates to the number of teeth in the 4th wheel. The "quick train" came about in 1879.

The "price guide" makes no distinction of the Hoyt models as to 1st/2nd/3rd runs and simply lists them with the 3 booked prices of $100/150/200. As per your question to insure the watch, I would say $350-400 is a good ballpark figure. The book prices we can all agree are way too low on these early watches, as the coin silver case on this watch approaches those values alone.

That's all the information I can 'scoop" on your watch, I hope some of it will be useful for you.

regards,
bb

posted
Thank you very much! I now know a lot more than I did.

As I said, I've got a few other questions simmering on the back burner, and when I have a little more time, I'll post them.

Thank you again.

Frank Brower