• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Two interesting Illinois private label watches "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here is an Illinois private label watch. The name on the dial is Elbe.

posted
The movement reads "Headlight" and Bloomington, ILL.

posted
It is serial number 869,088, a model !WC-S production 72,450. A common 7 jewel from the early days, 1888.

posted
One would think that "Headlight" was a grade name. I have not seen it in any Illinois listing, but assume that it was intended to appeal to the railroad market.

posted
Augustus E. Elbe was listed as early as 1870 practicing jewelry trade in Bloomington at first on the corner of Main and North Streets, and later on the first block of West Main Street.

posted
This watch was made just six years later for Charles L. Miller, who practiced jewelry just one block away on West Front Street.

posted
There was a vast difference in quality, and this watch was definitely a railroad grade watch:

posted
This underscores Meggers' observation that at the Illinois factory at about this time there was: "...a turning point in the company's manufacturing philosophy, toward high quality," (American Pocket Watches, Illinois Watch Co. p. 44). Unfortunately, I think, Meggers' discussion of the evolution of Illinois 18s watches leaves off with the introduction of the 16s models. I wish he had given us more of his insight into the higher grade 18s watches.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Looks like charlie had more expensive tastes!

posted
Yes. Miller had been apprenticed to another old-time Bloomington jeweler named Tryner. The Tryner brothers had been grocers in Bloomington, and one of them took up the jewelry trade. Tryner also had partners in Galesburg, Illinois. I have seen Hamilton 936 and 940s with the Tryner name on them ("Lanphier & Tryner"). So, the difference in philosophy was not only in the factory, but in the jewelers, too. A historian/sociologist would say this has something to do with the belief in mechanization and manifest destiny, etc., etc. I can buy into that, so far as I understand it.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Let's add a little more because you have an exceptional watch here. First this is private labeled for Charles Miller who was a registered RR Time inspector for Illinois Central, and this watch is annotated by Mr Ehrhardt as a"B&O Std" 300 Pc. run of 21 Jewel Hunter-Cased Bunn specials; s/n 1297901 - 1298200.

I excerpted pg 85 of Meggers/Ehrhardt and you can see this listing in part "3" reports only 3100 made and has no mention of a private label. The "Bible" has no mention of a 2-tone Hunter-cased 21J Bunn Special making this watch easily in the $1000.00+ range if cased properly. Otherwise it stays in the $600 - $700.00 value range.

posted
Wow! Thanks a lot!

posted
Presently this is in a very heavy Fahy's open face oresilver case. I'm sure the case is not original. I have a glass backed display case that I was planning to use for it because I would like to be able to see this beautiful movement. Do you think that's a good idea?

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve
Augustus E. Elbe is listed in the 1880 Bloomington census as a jeweler & was 31 at the time & his wife Jennie was 25 & they had a son Elmer that was 4. Augustus is listed as a Jeweler in that census. He was born in Germany & his wife & son in Il.

William Garetson also lived with them & was listed also as a jeweler & was his brother-in-law

Then in 1900 he is still listed as a jeweler but also has a son Walter whos is an engraver in jewelery. Augustus was born June 1855 & Walter Oct 1880

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

Not sure if you are interested in this or perhaps you already have it.

Charles Miller in the 1900 Bloomington census is listed as bein born in Aug 1865, his wife Gussie as Jan 1867, son Harry E April 1889, son Walter Oct 1894 & daughter Edna M June 1891. Charles was born in Il. & both parents in Germany.

Tom

posted
Wow, thanks for all the information, Tom. I like having some personal information about these people. It makes them more real. Currently I'm bidding on another Elbe on eBay. I think it's a Longenes.