WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ensuring images are not physically too big for posting "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi, my recent post in the 'clock' forum produced pictures that were way too large physically when posted. From my perspective I just loaded jpg's of around 200K. How can I review my future posts and adjust the size to ensure that this will not happen again?

I suspect someone edited them subsequently as they do not show as big now as they did originally, (thanks)

Peter

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I take two factors into account when I size images for the boards. First, I limit the width to 650 pixels so that it does not require scrolling from left to right. My own monitor and settings will accomodate a wider image, but some people still have smaller monitors. Second, I adjust the resolution to try to keep the total image size around 100kb so that folks with dial-up connections are not too inconvenienced.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Thanks for the tips Jerry.

Have found a function 'resize' so stick with me while I try, this is 680pix by 68Kb

Peter

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Peter,

As Jerry mentioned, it is also desirable to limit the file size. For instance, the picture you posted is about 194K. I converted it to jpg and used my simple editing program to compress it down to only 61K. Can you tell any differences?

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
PC monitors show pictures on screen at from 72 to 96 ppi. (pixels per inch) - so it is best I find to send pics. within the above range - I usually use 72 ppi.

Picture rescaling is easy done in Photoshop Elements.

dan

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005