Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My 1st watch pics are in! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Well, I finally did it. I managed to take my first pictures of a few of my watches after trying to decipher what to do. I'd like to get your feedback on them. These were taken with my Nikon 885, scene mode, macro setting, overhead lighting (60 watt incandescent)flash off, image quality - basic, image size - VGA. I would have thought pictures would be closer than what I have here. Book said set zoom position to widest angle which I did. According to book, I can focus 1.6 inches from the lenses. When I got very close to the subject, the picture was distorted.

Take a look at the pics here if you have not already viewed them in wristwatch forum under unique faceted crystal watches.

Helpful hints?

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Here's another view of my watches!

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...very nice Stephanie!...realize you shot at that angle to show the 'facets' on the crystal...your shots have that 'cast' to them that require, I believe, a white balance adjustment for incandescent lighting...don't know your particular camera but there should be a white balance adjustment on it...again very nice...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
When I take watch pictures with my 885 I use the custom setting (CSM) in close-up mode, flash off. With oblique pictures it is harder to get everything in focus when you are this close. I use area focus to select the part of the image that I want to be sharpest. A tripod is also a must for close-up photography.

Also, if you use a larger image size you do not have to be so close to get the same detail and the depth of focus will be greater. Just crop the final picture to show only the area of interest (the watch). With a straight-on shot the depth of field is not so much of a problem and you can get in closer.

For color correction, I preset my white balance using a white card under whatever lighting I am using. This will get rid of the pinkish cast in your pictures

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Steph...I used the Microsoft Picture-it Photo 7.0 to adjust your photo. Its only a $30 software package but lets you do more than most camera software.

Geo
NAWCC #78594
Local Chapter #76

Posts: 111 | Location: Sellersville, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: December 24, 2002
posted
Jim C.,

Thanks. I'll have to look into white balance adjustment.

Jerry T, my man,

I will read up on custom setting and area focus. I'll shop for a tripod soon. Regarding using a larger image size, I can re-set but not sure how to crop the final picture. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but will be out of pocket this weekend, family from out of town coming! Thanks for your help.

George E.,
Thanks for the info. The picture looks much better color-wise.

Other suggestions? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Ken Wyatt
posted
Hi Stephanie
Regards the tripod, sometimes for close-up work it is a little easier to rest the camera on a small hard bag or cushion, like a sandbag.It can be less fiddly for taking loads of close-up shots quickly.
An' we all got sandbags lying around the house? yeah right Smile Smile Big Grin
Hope you are enjoying the camera

Ken

Posts: 40 | Location: Stockport, Cheshire, United Kingdom | Registered: November 17, 2003
posted
Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for your tidbit! Big Grin

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

IHC Member 274
Life Member 27
Picture of Jack Goldstein
posted
Geo is up on the easiest program that gets good results, "Microsoft Picture-it". Its a $30-$50. dollar program that does a great job of getting your brightness, contrast, and tint, with one click. We work with 8 artists whom all use Picture It before having anything published. What I like about it is you don't have to read a book to learn how to use it, its the easiest one we have found.
Good luck with better pictures, Jack

Jack Goldstein
NAWCC 0152932
IHC 185 #274

Posts: 465 | Location: Tontitown, Arkansas USA | Registered: July 25, 2003
posted
Jack G.,
Thanks for the advise regarding "Microsoft Picture It".

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979