Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Background Color "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
When taking photo's of watches/movements, what color backgound do you feel is best? I'm slightly colorblind, so for me Dark Blue/Black seems to highlight better with a Olympus C4000 Zoom camera. Whats other opinions? Thanks!

Waltham

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Professional photographers have told me they prefer what is called 18% grey as a background. I think that means that 18% of the light is reflected. Is that correct?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Jerry
Thanks for the input - here is a sample of different color backgrounds taken within 5 minutes of each other, same lighting, C4000 Zoom - auto settings, Ott Lamp, cloth background (old t-shirts). Whats others opinions?

12S Waltham

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Here's a background for ya. Done using one of annoying free AOL cd's. It certainly creates a neat visual effect.

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
posted
Larry,
What a unique backdrop you have discovered there.
Thanks for sharing it with us!

Phil Dellinger
NAWCC# 157070
IHC Life Member (L12)

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Most really good shots that I've seen have either an almost non discernible or deep blue/purple background.
Big Grin

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I prefer lighter backgrounds, myself. I usually use a light gray manilla envelope. When I use a darker color I tend to lose the edge of the case in shadow as it curves back and starts to reflect the background. I also have more difficulty getting the exposure just right with all of that dark area in the picture.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
This is a very late post, but as a former Pro photogrpher, the 18% grey card is used to calculate the light balance for photography. For example if I photograph a certain item for a catalog where true and accurate color balance is a must one uses an 18% grey card in the photo as a test. Then without changing any of the parameters, take the final shot you want. The first one then is used to have the 18% area read by a color analyzer which will equally reflect all colors, and therefor be able to have the color enlarger set precisely for that color balance. Assuming the color chemicals are corrctly balanced then the product will look exactly correct in the catalog as in person.
Moses, formerly "Photos by Moses"

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
Moses,

Thanks for your reply to this topic.
Where can I get one of these 18% grey cards?

IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
....Go to a professional photo store that sells Kodak supplies. They used to always carry it.
The smaller stores never heard of the 18% card but bigger ones had them in stock....but then again that was before the digital age.
Moses

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
I have had good luck with a medium blue color background when using the digital Camera .i have found that the rules are somewhat different with a digital camera than they are with say a 35mm .

A yellow gold or gold filled case looks good on a blue background.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Wayne, thanks to my mother's genes obtained from her father(my grandfather), etc. I am more than slightly color blind. The darker blue are purple colors will look better to color blind people as they are easier to see and make a better contrast.
Just a little trivia, here on a beautiful Monday morning. Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...right Phil, let's hear it for the colour blind people... Cool

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003