Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Basic Lighting Techniques "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
A necessity thread to our "How to Photograph Your Watches and Clocks" forum.

I know many of you have added lighting techniques information in my "What Do You Use" thread. You may want to add your invaluable information to this particular thread as we will have a particular thread to go to for lighting techniques.

Thanks Smile

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Lindell,

Would you be so kind as to kick off this thread? Smile

I would love to hear, I'm sure as well as other members, your lighting techniques in taking those fabulous watch shots we, as priviledged members get to look at and enjoy often. We can learn from our leader!! Also, you mentioned sometime back the camera or cameras of your choice. Would you post and elaborate in the "What Do You Use" thread? I am interested in hearing as well as learning what you have to say about both topics. Your pictures are A+ and in my opinion, professional shots. Smile

What is your lighting technique? Confused Share those little secrets with us please! Roll Eyes

Thanks!

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
I have also admired Lindell's photographs. perhaps I have missed his posts explaining his techniques and equipment used. Could someone direct me to these posts, or if he has not posted this information for the group perhaps someone would join me in encouraging him to do so. I would like to say that I join all those who are enjoying this thread on photographic techniques.

Thanks,

Carl Edwards IHC#100

Posts: 9 | Location: Anderson, South Carolina USA | Registered: December 18, 2002
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Stephanie,

I came across this information on photographic techniques for watches:

There is a nice article on a Simple Ligthing setup, that I find very helpful for a beginner like me and is really an ultra simple light setup.

Regards

Carlos Flores

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
posted
Carl,

Lindell mentions what kind of cameras he uses in my other thread "USB port". Check that out! Smile

Carlos,

Very informative sites on photographic techniques. I'll delve further after I purchase my camera. Thanks!! Smile

Lighting Techniques - anyone else? Let's hear about them please!! Smile Roll Eyes Eek Eek

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Stephanie, Carl and Carlos...

I never thought of my pictures as anything special. Thanks Carl, even this old dog appreciates an occasional pat on the head.

The links Carlos found are very helpful ones. I especially like the first one!

Stephanie, when choosing a camera I asked some eBay sellers who take vast numbers of good pictures what they use. The Nikon 950 and 995 and derivatives are the overwhelming choices. The size of the viewing screen, ease of use and extreme flexibility along with low cost are among the reasons I prefer the 950 Nikon. I use the camera hand-held with ordinary room lighting.

I just use an ordinary desk lamp with a 150 watt bulb. Nothing unusual or exotic in any way. Larry's "Ott-Lite" intrigues me and I'd like to know more about it. Due to the simple lighting I use there is glare and a lot of reflections. At times I use the center of a translucent jug from which the top and bottom have been removed and simply set it over the subject. I then take the pictures looking into the jug. See the three small pictures that follow this message which were taken with a black background.

Below desk light coming from the upper left, not enhanced...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Same subject and lighting but taken with "jug" over subject...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Ordinary translucent jug with both top and bottom cut off...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Remember, all three of the pictures directly above are unenhanced and were taken using the same lighting and angles. The only difference is the simple jug to diffuse the light a bit. Anyone using virtually any digital camera will find a similar result. If you examine those first two pictures, diffusing the light in the second one even made the tone of the watch-case far more accurate.

I used the black background in the pictures above to make the point about reflection and glare as succinctly as possible. Background colors can also have a dramatic effect on your pictures. Wayne Anderson has started a thread dealing with background colors and textures. If it would be helpful, perhaps I could take a series of pictures showing the major effect your background will have on the outcome.

Hope this is helpful..

Lindell

Smile

IHC Life Member
posted
Lindell, I agree with everything you said.

I would add that whether you use an incandescent light or flourescent, the results should be nearly the same assuming that your auto white balance is correct. If not, select the appropriate white balance setting on the camera. Also, we can experiment with exposure compensation to try and subdue blown out highlights caused by glare. Photography is more art than science. There is no really wrong way to take a picture and experimentation is what makes it fun. I for one try all kinds of silly things while taking pictures of watches, none of which would make Ansel Adams proud. Roll Eyes Lighting technique is like chili; there is no such thing as wrong ingredients.

Experimentation can be fun.

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
posted
Lindell & Larry,

Very interesting and helpful. Lindell to be handheld, your pics are superb. I don't think I am really that steady. Too many birthdays I suppose. Thanks for all you both do.

Carl Edwards
NAWCC #12400 IHC #100

Posts: 9 | Location: Anderson, South Carolina USA | Registered: December 18, 2002