Tools
Reply to Post

Reporting Replica or Fake Items on eBay "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Reporting Replica or Fake Items on eBay. . .

Note: Updated 9/13/2006 by Ed Parsons

It is against eBay policy to run listings of replica items (fake Rolexes for instance), whether or not they are acknowledged as such in the listing. At a minimum, they infringe the legitimate manufacturer's trademarks and copyrights, so eBay strictly prohibits all such listings.

Here is how to report a fake Rolex or other replica, step by step:

1. From the eBay Site Map under "Marketplace Safety" and click "Security & Resolution Center"
2. On the Security & Resolution Center page, click "report another problem" and then click the button labeled "Report Problem" which will lead you to a "Contact Us" page.
3. On the Contact Us page, click "Listing Violations" which will take you to a Help page with a series of picklists.
4. On the first picklist, click "Counterfeits & copyright violations"
5. On the second picklist, click "Potential trademark infringement"
6. On the third picklist, click "Counterfeit watches & jewelry"
7. Click the button at the bottom of the page marked "Continue"
8. This will take you to a "Contact Us" page, click the hypertext "Email us" at the bottom of the page.
9.Then you get an email form where you can put in the offending item number(s). That's all the input you have to provide.
10. When you are done, click the "Send" button at the bottom of the page.

You will get a confirmation email containing a tracking number for your complaint and a synopsis of the info you provided.

In my experience, eBay typically responds overnight to this type of violation report. Put in the report at night, and provided eBay considers your complaint legitimate, the item will be blown away by the next morning.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Michael Gorham
posted
Thanks for that Ed. As an ebay seller of mainly horological items, anything that helps rid ebay of scam artists and conmen is most welcomed.

I actually have an early fake Patek Philippe lying on my desk just to make me think I'm wealthy!

Posts: 79 | Location: Crawfordsville, Indiana in the USA  | Registered: March 12, 2009
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Would that include pocket watches with fake dials used to ripoff unwary buyers if not disclosed in the listing?

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Steve:

My opinion is that dials are reproductions and would not be classified as a fake if the signature on the dial matched the signature on the movement etc. A watch claiming to be a Rolex but is instead a cheap immitation made in China or wherever, would be considered a fake and would be against Ebay rules.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008