Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Santa Fe Route Railroad 237 "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Member
posted
Santa Fe Route Railroad 237

just wondering if anyone had some info on this. I looked on google and did a search here but came up with nothing.

Posts: 131 | Location: Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas in the USA | Registered: May 11, 2013
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
The Santa Fe Route Railroad 325 brass is a fake, first reported March 29, 1999, these fakes have been around since the 1980s some individual saw there was money to be made and went into mass production importing them from China. Some are made with names of railroads that don't even exist like the "Southern Rio Grande Pacific" there is even ones marked "Hamilton Railroad Standard 003" and "Ball Railway Standard 021" more than likely to look like a tag for a loaner pocket watch. They are "chemically" aged. Another popular railroad collectors item that is being faked are Seth Thomas railway station clocks. I've attached a picture showing some examples of these fakes. A good source of information on railway fakes is the Railroadiana.org their site has a question and answer forum on railroad fakes, and great information on sources of the real thing.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Life Member
posted
thanks for the replies I was just wondering because this one had some real age to it I cleaned it up a bit. before i took a picture. But you would know better then I if it where real or fake. Would explain why I didn't find anything out about it. of course when I said age I never thought it would be as old as the watch. thank you again for the info

Posts: 131 | Location: Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas in the USA | Registered: May 11, 2013
Life Member
posted
could you tell me anything about this railroad? Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. The railway that runs through my neck of the woods is BNSF. this map here doesn't even show BNSF comes through my neck of the woods however I know it does I see them all the time http://upload.wikimedia.org/wi...ns/6/6e/BNSF_Map.png

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
The original Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railway was one of the larger systems in the United States chartered 1859, it ran from Chicago and by 1891 its lines ran westward through Kansas City, and St. Louis running through Atchison & Topeka, Kansas across Colorado up to Denver and Salt Lake City in Utah, this line, split at La Junta, New Mexico and ran down through Santa Fe to Albuquerque, New Mexico and westward through Flagstaff, Arizona, Needles, Barstow, and Mohave were and ran North to Sacramento, California, the line, at Barstow, and Mohave also split southward running down to Los Angeles, and south to San Diego, other lines ran West of St. Louis towards Colorado and southward through Arkansas into Dallas, Houston, and Galveston, Texas, another line ran South of Albuquerque, New Mexico to El Paso, Texas with lines into Mexico. In the early 1980s the Santa Fe proposed a merger with the Southern Pacific Lines, and were confident that it would be approved and then started painting. It's rolling stock and locomotives in the new SFSP color schemes, but the merger was denied by the Interstate Commerce Commission, saying there would be too much duplication of routes, finally on September 21, 1995 the ICC approved the merger of the Santa Fe with the Burlington Northern to form the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway, the Burlington Northern was one of the first major mergers approved by the ICC in the West approved on March 2, 1970 and involved the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, Great Northern Railway, Northern Pacific Railway, and the Spokane, Portland, and Seattle Railway all lines built by James J Hill in the 19th century the CB&QRR ran from Chicago into the Midwest states and connected with Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota the NPR and GNR originated from Minneapolis and St. Paul across Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, and Washington to terminus at Seattle, and Tacoma, Washington and Portland, Oregon. Four attempts to merge these lines in 1896, 1901, 1927, and 1955 had all been denied by the ICC, surprisingly, the merger was approved even though there was a challenge from the Supreme Court to deny it.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Life Member
posted
Thank you so much for the information. I learned something about the raiiilways in the US. I don't know a whole lot about them. My grandfather woorked for the railroad in California in the 30's don't know which one. He didn't work for them for very long.