Reply to Post

Neat Canadian documentary "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Neat Canadian documentary

https://www.nfb.ca/film/end_of...W_ucbUW6qMo9qvTFK_8I

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Mark:

Great film clip from Canada's National Film Board, a Crown Corporation of Canada established in 1939. in the film clip, we see Canadian Pacific's Archivist and Historian Omer Lavallee he was born in 1925 and passed away in 1992 not before writing many books on the railway history. He is commenting on the run they were making on the CNR last run of steam. I have a couple of his books. One on CPR Steam Locomotives that was published in 1985. One other interesting part of the film was seeing CPR's 2816 running in commuter service out of Montréal she made her last run in 1960. The CPR bought the locomotive from Steamtown in Scranton, Pennsylvania in 1998 and spent $3 million on her restoration, this was done in Portland Oregon by Doyle McCormick. Renamed the Empress she ran many steam excursions. When the Carpetbagger Hunter Harrison became the CEO the Empress was mothballed, and now languishes her time in the Number Two coach shop at the Ogden Shops complex in Southeast Calgary.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Locomotive 2816 was one of ten H1B - class (the "H" meant the 4-6-4 wheel configuration , the "1" was the design number and the "b" meant that it was the second production run) 4-6-4 Hudson was built by the Montréal Locomotive Works in 1930, it was first assigned to the line between Winnipeg and Fort William, Ontario. Later it was transferred to service between Windsor Ontario and Québec City, and finally it ran a commuter train between Montréal and Ridaud, Québec, and made its last run on May 26, 1960.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
My author autographed plate on my book.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
CPR 2816(Empress)on excursion at Bassano, Alberta in June 2010.