Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Burlington "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Just finished a trip through Northwestern Nebraska, and was amazed at the number of BNSF trains traveling that route. Going east with cars full of coal, going west with cars filled with automobiles and freight.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Wayne, besides being distinquished by the likes of Rhett Lucke & Johnny Carson (among others, notably, yourself) is it basically the production of corn that distinquishes the 'Heartland' State (perhaps shipped on the same BNSF)?...

Jim
IHC#234

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Jim
The people population of Nebraska is 1.7million, and the cattle population is 4.0million...another distinguished persons from Nebraska was Henry Fonda, and Joel McRay. Close to where I live is a large plant used to produce the alcohol used in gas (that contains alcohol). But most of the rail traffic is just passing through, bound for the east or west.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Another BNSF traveling east, loaded with coal - 1 mile long.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Man, you sure can tell it's flat out there...one locomotive for a mile long coal train?! EekWhere I live, that takes 5 units, and two helpers to get one that long over the mountain at Cowan, TN! Regards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark,
Most of the BNSF trains are two locomotives, some are three...but it is flat here. The train in the photo was stopped at the plant where alcohol is produced.

posted
I am no train expert, but where i live i saw three engines pulling a long line of cars, it had to be a mile long.there are no big hills around here.
I sometimes watch the freight trains in the yard at Smiths falls, Ontario.
t
They are fascinating to watch. Smile

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I live on the Cumberland Plateau, so CSX REALLY piles on the motive power when tackling the grade over Monteagle Mountain at Cowan, TN. I see no less than 5 units per train, and they're NOwhere near a mile long, so you can figure out what kind of grade we have working here! GREAT photos, Wayne! I really enjoy seeing them! High regards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002