• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tales I have; "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I also am a retired locomotive engineer from the Burlington Northern Santa Fe.
I worked for the Rock Island RR. out of Joliet and Blue Island,IL. from 73 to 76 and I had to buy a watch to meet rules/watch inspection. I bought a brand new Hamilton 992B in stainless steel case from Star Jewelers in Joliet. I carried it for many years till I bought a Seiko wrist watch.
I wish I would have kept that watch!!
Dave

Posts: 4 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2010
posted
Do you have the serial number of the watch Dave?...Would be easier to find these days with the internet, ebay, auction houses etc...

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Dave:

Always good to hear from another locomotive engineer, did you go to the Burlington after the Rock Island went bankrupt? Back in the 1990s I rode the Amtrak's "Empire Builder" from Montana to Chicago mostly on the Great Northern Route, and on the old Milwaukee Road into Chicago great way to travel and see the countryside if you're not in a hurry. I had a chance to ride with the Milwaukee Road steam engine #264 on the Burlington from Minneapolis Junction to Chicago, and on a BNSF employee appreciation trip to Galesburg Illinois in 2000. Too bad about selling your Hamilton 992B, but there are lots out there so maybe you can find a suitable replacement.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Hi Ray,
I wish I knew the serial no. but that is a long lost secret. I sold it the late 70's.
Larry, I hired on the BN in Nebraska and transfered back to Chicago in 1976
I almost caught that Miwaukee 264 out of LaCrosse,WI one morning, but ended up on a "Z" train instead. I would have liked to work it, but I heard it was a rough ride and hot!!
Just once I would have enjoyed it.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Dave:

Here is a photo of me in front of the Milwaukee Road 261 (not 264 as I stated earlier), ready to depart LaCrosse in the spring of 2000. The tender is topped up with good clean burning Kentucky anthracite coal that had to truck in the day earlier. At one of the BLE Western regional conventions I met an engineer from the Rock Island who was working for the Burlington on the coal trains out of Gillette Wyoming.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Wow Larry, small world. That might have been the day I almost caught that job. I will have to check in my timebooks and see. Would have been nice to work one of those steam trains once before I left the railroad. Worked plenty of Amtrak detours and rail excursions.
"HIGHBALL"