Tools
Reply to Post

Mount Washington Cog Railway "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Here is the website for a cute little excursion line that goes up and down Mt. Washington in New Hampshire:

Click here to view Mt. Washington Cog Railway website

Notice how the boiler is inclined to compensate for the steep grade of the tracks.

My family's annual summer trip to Mt. Washington is one of the fond memories of my childhood. This little steam locomotive is completely authentic, live steam and hand-stoked with coal. Cool

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I've enjoyed the heck out of this link, Edward! Thanks for sharing it. Quick question... how many locomotives do they run at one time, or keep on the active list? There's no equipment roster on the site (at least that I've been able to find), and I swear I can see at least 2 to 3 smokestacks in the photos. Regards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I had the opportunity to take the cog railway in 1970. We walked up Mt. Washington and took the cog railway down.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
One of the greatest parts about being on top of Mt. Washington was when the clouds began to form around our feet. This picture was taken while standing on top of the mountain.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Mark,

Sorry it took me so long to notice your question! Years ago when I was a going up there every summer, I know they ran at least two locomotives at the same time, up and down the mountain during peak season.

Nowadays, on the website they claim that up to seven locomotives can be in service at once, with up to two departing every hour for the 3-hour round trip journey to the summit.

They have turnouts to allow trains to pass each other at certain locations and I can remember pulling off on a spur and waiting for another train to pass.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Ed, a great link,and I enjoyed the pictures. Nice place to visit.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Mount Washington is the highest peak in the North East. 6,280 feet. Even though it is not a very high mountain , wind of over 200 miles per hour was recorded. This is still a record today.

In addition to the cog railroad you can also drive up the mountain to the summit.

Frank Menez

Posts: 39 | Location: Somersworth, New Hampshire USA | Registered: February 18, 2005
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
You can also walk up to the summit. I would suggest doing this on the peak color weekend in the fall.

Tom