Tools
Reply to Post

BIG Union Pacific announcement today! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Union Pacific Railroad Acquires Big Boy Locomotive No. 4014

They said this would never happen! Smile

Tag that with the ongoing refit program of N&W 611 to have it back under steam in 2014, it's going to be an interesting few years ahead for fans of BIG live steam locomotives here in the U. S. Big Grin

http://fireup611.org/

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks for the link Mark,

Nice to know about this.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1978 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Posts: 5199 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
The Green Bay Railroad Museum has one of these behemoths. Quite a sight to see! Wish I could see it running.

Posts: 345 | Location: Racine, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2010
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
I have seen two Big Boys over the years one in Dallas, Texas and one in Cheyenne, Wyoming that I saw in May of 1999, when I had the opportunity to ride with the Union Pacific Steam Team on a double header with steam locomotives UP 844, a Northern 4-8-4 built by Alco in 1944, and UP 3985, a Challenger 4-6-6-4 built by Alco in 1943. We went from Cheyenne to Roseville, California climbing out of Cheyenne over Sherman Hill a steep grade that these locomotives were designed to conquer, we crossed Wyoming,through Utah going over the Great Salt Lake,thru Nevada, and over the Donner pass into California. Here is a photo of me beside the UP 3985 at pre-departure from Sparks, Nevada to the Donner Pass.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
You are one lucky man.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Larry Buchan,

The particular trip above also stopped off at the Union Station in Ogden, Utah, where it spent the Night. The Hostler's Model Rail Road Club Provided Security during that Layover on the way to California. Managed to get a few fine pictures and a tour of the train before it left. Yes, These were what caused Watches to run on Time!

Ogden Canyon east of the City has some of the Greatest Trout fishing anywhere when I was a lot younger. My Father took me fishing many times when I was young. The UP Mainline runs through Ogden Canyon. Not only did I see Many of these Huge Giants working pulling trains that were over a mile long, but the Canyon was the backdrop for many sightings of the "Big Blow" Gas Turbine Engines that un-seated the Big Boys and led to the Diesel/Electric Evolution of the 60's. I was lucky to have seen them all many times thanks to my Dad. The ground shook for 10 minutes before you could hear them coming and then the sounds from these Giants started up and you could feel the ground tremble much more and the sound of that whistle echoing off the Canyon Walls was almost deafening! I was about 6 when I first Saw one of them. Took me 5 minutes spinning gravel to get to the car about 80 feet away. Never saw an animal like that before and believe it or not, that animal had captured a couple of men. . . I could see them on its back!

Posts: 181 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2008
posted
I live 6 blocks from the UP main line. At one time our local paper would announce when 844 or 3985 would be coming through so we could go down by the tracks and watch for it.

Now, their movements are not announced in the local paper (I assume for security reasons), but I believe their schedule of stops and appearances at events are published on the UP steam website.

Also at one time, when a UP steam engine was on the move, you could go to the UP steam website and follow it's movement and location online in real time.

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I watched the Challenger move that way a couple years ago, Joe, and was amused when it arrived at one overnight stop in Wyoming and the site message said 'we have no idea where this particular unit is at this time'.

I thought, 'ok, how in the world did they lose something THAT big?' Big Grin

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Posts: 5199 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Just stumbled across this old UP film. Thought you'd all enjoy it.

Regards! Mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR5dEc5VeNw

Pt2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ri_ciyZ98