Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Railroad watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
Hello Larry. I keep meaning to ask you this, and I finally remembered to ask it:I'd like to know what you used for a standard watch while you were "on duty" as an engineer?Also wanted to say how much I enjoy all your posts and the private label watch pics.Thanks and best regards, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Ted:

The first railway pocket watch I bought was in June of 1973, I had hired on as a switchman (Yardman) at the Canadian Pacific Railways Alyth yard in Calgary Alberta, and was making student trips before I could mark up on the spare board. When I was hired by the General Yardmaster I was told as a condition of my employment, I would have to buy a railway approved wrist watch or pocket watch. Railway approved wristwatches sold for $175 at that time, when I was making one of my student trips there was an engineer trainee on the job, in conversation asked me if I had a railway watch. I told him no, he said he knew a watch inspector who had a pocket watch for sale for $50. I always had an allergy from wearing jewelry, rings, chains, and wristwatches where the metal touched my skin would break out in a rash. At that time, Lee jeans had good-sized watch pockets and $50 sounded better than $175 that was quite a bit of money to put out at that time. I went and saw the watch inspector, who sold me a Hamilton 992 for the $50. It was in a very worn gold filled case and ran nicely, it had a 12 hour dial that the watch inspector said he would change to a 24 hour dial for me later. I paid for the watch, and he issued me a watch card, I later found out that the watch inspectors were giving employees $25 off, when they traded in their pocket watch for a new railway wrist watch. I will try to post some pictures of the pocket watch tomorrow.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks for the fast answer Larry, I'm surprised that they would still approve a regular 992 at that time.Even though 992's are and were one of the best and most bullet-proof RR watches ever made, I think most railroads disallowed them after the 992B's came out.Looking forward to the picture!Have a great day...Ted.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Ted:

As promised here are some photos of my first Hamilton railway grade pocket watch that I used on the Canadian Pacific Railway, you are right about Hamilton 992's not being approved for Railway service at that time. The watch inspector I bought it from was a little unscrupulous, and wrote me out a watch inspection card anyways, he was happy to get his $50. I heard later that jewelry company fired him for making these cash sales on the side. Looking at this watch movement you will notice it's equipped with a solid rim balance from a 992E, as I said originally it had a 12 hour Arabic dial, and the watchmaker refitted it with a Hamilton CPR 24 hour melamine dial that was more appropriate for a 992B, years ago I refitted it with a double sunk 24-hour dial, and 24-hour hands that were more in line with the time period the watch was manufactured.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hamilton 992 movement Serial No.1632591 manufactured 1922-1923

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
case back

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Inside case back American Watch Case Co. of Toronto, Ontario, Fortune yellow gold filled with many watch repair marks. More about this tomorrow.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice watch, Larry!Looks like it served you and the former owner well and for a long time!That case looks an awful lot like the US made "Mainliner" railroad cases.I'd be willing to bet that that must be one of your favorites, being your first one and all.Thank you for showing it, Ted.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Another thing I noticed on your movement, it's marked Made in USA by the crown wheel.I don't recall seeing that before on a 992.Is that a common marking on those?Mine is newer, and is marked the same as yours, but no USA marking.Thanks very much!