Internet Horology Club 185
Steam locomotive operations in modern times

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6366042471/m/2396042471

May 27, 2007, 19:59
Stephan Gaal
Steam locomotive operations in modern times
As for the watch I am wearing it ended up being the Ball Waltham with Official Railway Standard on the dial. It is open faced 20 year case with a very nice engraving of a steam loco on the back.
While I love my watches I have been into steam for over 40 years so this seamed like a better choice as a family piece that reflects my interests. Happy to add a picture if anone wants to see it. The other side of the chain has a small pocket knife and also carried the rings till I needed them.
May 28, 2007, 06:11
Dr. Debbie Irvine

Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing that special moment with us. Smile

Wishing both you and your new bride love and happiness as you start your new life together.

Always,

Debbie

P.S. Please do post the watch and any other pictures as well.

May 29, 2007, 13:12
Mark Cross
HUZZAH!!! and CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Smile

HIGH regards! Mark
May 31, 2007, 03:01
Stephan Gaal
Since I started with a question about which watch I should use I suppose I should show you all the one I selected.

May 31, 2007, 03:11
Stephan Gaal
Here is a view of the back. The case is a 20 year Philidelphia watch case with screw front and back. The movement is a regular Ball Waltham with Approved Railroad Standard marked on it as per Shugart 156 but only 17 jewels. It kept perfect time for the day.

May 31, 2007, 03:23
Stephan Gaal
Since this thread is supposed to be about modern steam loco operations I would like to add this picture. This little train sailed past while we were enjoying our stop at Emerald Station. I believe this engine is available to hire for those intertested in steam. You get the undivided attention of a driver and crew for the day who will instruct you in all aspects of steam engine operation from oiling up through steam raising to driving and finally cleaning. Once you know what you are doing you will get to act as driver for several trips on parts of the main line. Several meals are provided and you can bring your family with you in the attached cars. Cost is not small but how often do you get to drive a steam train on the main line? I believe funds will be put towards getting their Climax loco back into service again. I have ridden behind the Climax and it was a fantastic experience. Would be great to see it running again.

May 31, 2007, 11:47
Mark Cross
I understand there's a like 'service' located in Arizona that allows you a day of operation of either a diesel for $600, or live steam for $900. You get a crew of conductor, backup engineer, fireman, and brakeman. You're shown how the locomotive operates, then you're given the greenboard to proceed to run the train for the remainder of the day from the right hand seat.

Neat concept!

Regards! Mark
August 08, 2007, 20:37
Larry Buchan
Hello Mark:

I see that the Nevada Northern Railroad in Ely, Nevada offers time at the throttle, their rates through October 2007 are Diesel Yard Rates $295 for one hour, Steam Yard Rates $445 for one hour. They also offer Diesel Mainline $445 from East Ely to Adverse and return. For Steam Mainline $645 from East Ely to Keystone and return. They also offer combined steam and diesel for $965.
October 20, 2014, 19:25
Patrick Wallin
If you are interested in riding on an original steam locomotive check out these in Washington State
and Nevada. Virginia,City Nevada still has a train running from Virgina to a old store about 10 miles away and back to Virgina City. In Wash State at the town of Snoqalmie there are two trains that take you on the old logging tracks. Plan on an all day venture.