Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

NFB documentary about Canadian RR c1958 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1369
posted
Here is a link to a short doumentary about railway operations in the Canadian Rockies in the winter that focuses on the railway men on the line. It is a facinating look at rail operations and the people in addition to some spectacular scenery but of particular interest for this group is a very short bit about pocket watches - about 3 or 4 minutes in if you are interested.

http://www.nfb.ca/film/railroaders

This is the synopsis from the NFB site:
"This is a short documentary about winter railroading in the Canadian Rockies and the men who keep the lines clear. The stretch between Revelstoke and Field, British Columbia, is a snow-choked threat to communications. The film shows the work of section hands, maintenance men, train crews and telegraph operators."

I was thoroughly facinated by the whole documentary and I just thought some of you might be as well.
Ralph

Posts: 542 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 10, 2010
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Very interesting and informative, Ralph....

Thanks for bringing it to us....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
An absolutely fantastic presentation Ralph. I liked everything about it. Great presentation and the views were spectacular. Very informative for us unknowing folks. I even liked the music! Cool

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Great documentary film from Canada's National Film Board a Federal Government funded institution, when I worked passenger earlier in my career as a locomotive firemen, and later as an engineer on through freight we would change off with Revelstoke engine crews at Field, British Columbia working West from Calgary Alberta in the prairies, through the foothills, and the beautiful scenery of the Rocky Mountains in Banff National Park across the Continental Divide and down Field Hill through the Spiral Tunnels to Field. Photo taken at Banff, Alberta in the spring of 1980 from the cab of the CPR's passenger train "The Canadian".

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Sorry I bothered you with my email yesterday, Larry.

I found the link to this film at another website and wasn't aware this thread even existed until today. Frown

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
hello Mark:

No problem, sometimes I might miss this information, and with friends tipping me off it always helps.

Regards

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Very good! I just didn't want you to think I was taking credit for finding something that someone else had already found and had told you about.

Thanks!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002