• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Just some ramblings from the Burlington... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
When I was an infant Adolf Hitler was running Germany. When I was a little older I used to ride my bicycle to the Burlington roundhouse and rode aboard some steamers in the yards. As I grew a little older, I would go to the Burlington yard on the same bicycle and crawl all over the O5A Northern’s destined for the scrap heap. They were lined up as far as my young eyes could see. The bells were all sold with a clause in the contract from Burlington that if we went to war they had to be returned. I remember looking down the smokestack and in the sand dome. I remember Climbing into the cab and seeing all the controls. Behind the engineers seat was an upper shelf that held the torpedoes and flags. Took the torpedoes and had fun with them later. Nothing malicious. Took a lot of pictures that my Mother never had developed. Never even thought of taking the builder plates. I always thought they, the steamers, would be there.

Jim

Posts: 84 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska USA | Registered: November 20, 2002
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Was that Burlington round house in Havelock NE?

Wayne

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Nope. The Havelock Shops were just that. They (Burlington) built some locomotives there and repaired cars, etc. The main roundhouse was out on West "O" street near the "hump". However, at the turn of the century, I do believe there was a small roundhouse very close to the Havelock Shops...

Jim

Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Jim,
Is any of the Burlington facilities still in use there in Lincoln/Havelock? My first train memories are taking a local from Stromsburg to Grand Island - don't remember the name, but will always remember the excitement of riding the train.
Wayne

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Wayne,
The Havelock shops are still in operation where they've sat forever. The small roundhouse in Havelock is long gone. I do believe part of the main roundhouse (out on West O) is still intact with turntable and engine weighing house. Of course, the coaling and watering facilities are only a memory. Lincoln has been a marshalling yard for years complete with hump.

Jim