Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cuckoo chain alignment query "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roddy J. Brunton
posted
I just got this cuckoo in today.
haven't done anything t it yet other than give it a try. When I leveled the clock I couldn't help notice some differences in the alignment of the holes for the chains
The weights for the music are directly in line so the chain runs clear.
The holes for the time train and cuckoo are out of line with the pulleys and have a metal grommet. The 4 holes are off to the left rather than in-line with the vertical so on all four openings the chains rub the sides of the metal guide. I have never seen one like this before. Is this normal? Doesn't seem efficient to me...

Roddy JB

Posts: 1385 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I've never seen one with metal grommets around the holes. Looks like that might be a sign of quality above normal for these.
I also definitely think they chains should drop right through the center of the hole.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
That's what I was thinking but I took a close look at the movement position etc and nothing seems to have been altered. I am beginning to think the off-set was intentional which is why those 4 holes are lined while the other 2 holes are not?
Maybe someone else will know for sure?

Roddy JB

Posts: 1385 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
After posting I considered that too. Maybe the grommets were installed to compensate. But that would indicate something not right or original to the clock?

Shouldn't interfere with the operation however. If it doesn't, just wind it up and let it go.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
The brass grommets must be used to fix a screwup in the case holes that were drilled in the wrong place. This is a first I have ever seen in many, many cuckoo clocks that I have done. I would guess eventually these offset holes will give a problem. I presume the clock is centered on the front side..
Good luck..

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Member 2134
posted
It looks like the bottom plate was installed upside down.

Mort Denison

Posts: 175 | Location: York, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 27, 2016
IHC Life Member
posted
I thought of that but the slot is there to fit the back door and the holes for the music are lined up fine.

Roddy JB

posted
I have never seen this either , My thought is a replacement movement, I would try it , but really think it should not have any add. friction . also on the bellows I used to get just the "tops", and I thought it was from merrits . If I can help with shipping let me know .

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
this may be a silly question , but , is the movement centered in the front ? I measured the picture after blowing it up and it "seems" it is off to one side

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Kevin,
The movement is centered on the front.
Dave sent me a link to a similar clock with the exact same chain set up.
I just emailed the link to you.
Rod

Roddy JB