• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mainspring and winding arbor pin Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
After cleaning a New Haven 8 day mantle clock movement. I put in two new mainsprings as the old ones were very rusty. After reassembly I tried to wind the springs (still wired) to cut the wires. I could not get the arbor pins on either side to pick up the spring holes !! I tried using my finger to relocate the center loops into different positions and allow the pin to hook. I could not get them to pick up !! So I take the spring out and examine them and find they would not pick up at all. I cold feel them starting to hook and then slip off. I tried to bend them slightly and then I could hook them while holding them in my hand. Back together it goes. 2nd time. Now do you think I could get them to hook up while in the movement! No way! So back out they come. By now I am starting to get a bit twisted! Mad
I had to rebend the hole end much tighter so the arbor pin almost snapped into the inside loop. I reassemble the movement again and now the spring wind up without a hitch! Smile
Should I have to rebend these inner coils. Am I buying cheap spring? Or am I missing something on how to get the spring to hook?

The rest of the story is that I must not of had the click spring wire seated properly in the click as I was winding the time side all heck broke loose Big Grin Eek Confused Frown The spring released and wow! Lost the timeside second wheel.
I have found a movement with fractured plates that will get me going again.
What a learning experience.

Just wondering.
Bob B

Posts: 46 | Location: Van Wert, Ohio in the USA | Registered: January 21, 2006
posted
Yes Bob,it is good practice to test your arbor pin to mainspring correlation before you reassemble your unit.99% of the time they will need an adjustment.That snapping sound you hear is always a good sign because it usually denotes a nice tight fit between the arbor and the inner coils.Shoot for that when you are testing them for the proper operation.I use a pair of jewelers pliers that have a pocket on one side and a round jaw on the opposite side.They do a great job of kinking the mainspring to give you a tighter coil.Don't feel bad,most of the folks who work on clocks have experienced the same malady.Whats even worse is when you put the unit back together,wind it and realize you have the mainsprings reversed.Always make it a point to write down the rotation of your mainsprings before you disassemble a movment.It sounds like elementary advice but it can save you a lot of aggravation down the road.
Ss far as clicksprings go,American clicksprings are poorly designed and are prone to doing exactly what happened to you.The wire types are especially prone to slipping off of the click.Personally I think the clicksprings manufactured from sheet stock are far superior such as the type you would find on the Hermle movements but you're kind of stuck with what the manufacturer installed.At least now you know that clicksprings are one more thing you'll have to check upon re-assembly.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
Thanks for the information Bob. I just was not sure if I was doing something wrong or if I was buying poor quality springs. Still not sure if I am buying good spring or not?

Good advice on noting the spring positions. The New Haven was a new one for me as the loop on the time side did not attach to a pillar that ran from plate to plate. I did not do any sketching ot notes at all because I have another movement just like it to fall back on. One thing I learne is to not over look the click and click spring assebmly.

Bob B

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I just finished an old Seth Thomas round movement where the click gear was held on with a taper pin. I wound both sides partially to test...everything checked out just fine. Last turn on the time side and.... WHAP!! Eek The Arbor broke in half! Had to make a new Arbor, 2 new teeth on the mainspring barrel, replaced 3 pinions in the 2nd gear lantern pinion and straighten the 2nd wheel arbor. Is working fine now Big Grin, but what a pain.

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Greg
I bet your heart skipped a beat then that happened. Mine did when the click let go. At least you have the experience to repair the part yourself. I have a ways to go to get to that point. Now I am waiting on parts again. Wink
I am still a bit gun shy when I wind up the main springs to the max for the first time. Big Grin
Bob B