Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ST Regulator #2 "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
On this particular clock...the paint on the dial is very bad. The owner wants to have it restored.

Having the original dial restored...would mean new paint on old metel, at a cost from $100. to $200.00.
Purchasing a copy from one of the supply houses(new paint, new metel)costs approx. $20.00.

How would this decision determine the ending value of the clock?

Greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Greg,
This is going to be STRICTLY OPINION. And the more people that comment the more opinions you will discover.

I think that having the original dial redone by someone like Martha Smallwood would do more to retain the original feel of the clock and its value more than a new replacement. On a quality clock like a Seth 2, I would go for a Martha Smallwood dial.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 43
posted
I am inclined to agree with Tom on this one, usually a reproduction dial looks exactly like what it is, a reproduction. On a class act like a Seth #2 an original dial keeps it what it is, a class act.

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Agreed! The $20.00 dial would make the clock useable. The $200.00 restoration makes it a correct example. Think of it this way, the extra expense will make the clock truly worthwhile, adding far more than the amount you spend onto the present value.

It's just plain and simple mathematics.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I somehow knew what the replys would be. Must be psychic!?
Where would I find this "Martha Smallwood"?

Greg

posted
The Dial House (Martha Smallwood)
3971 Buchanan Highway
Dallas, GA. 30157

770-445-2877 Fax: 770-443-5426

Dial_House@Juno.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Maple Heights, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
George,
I think the original dials on ST clocks went bad due to the paint being applied to Zinc. I don't think the vintage paints had the ability to stick to the zinc.
I hope the painter uses a paint, or primer that makes everything stick together for a while.
JMO
Dick

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello All,Even today paint will not "Take" to Zinc articles in the long term. It is well known newly Galvanised (Zinc Coated) metal, sheds paint after a short while. Many years ago I fitted a Galvanised 4inch dry-riser Fire Main up the West Tower of Ely Cathedral and the Architect made us paint it with MORDANT SOLUTION Before painting it Dark Battleship Grey, a Lead Based paint. The paint wore very well exposed to the elements, as it was.
The Architect , I remember telling me the alternative was to leave it un-painted to "weather" for 5yrs.
I have just done a Google search and find Mordant Solution is still used and recommended for pre-coating Galvanised Items. Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
The question wasn't so much due to my concern of the cost, but how "we view" the end product and its value. The same holds true(I believe) for most if not all repairs done on a clock, and I assume for any other collectable, antique or art. I think "Tom" hit the nail on the head..."the feel".

After a repair no matter how "unseen" the damage and repair are...its still not original...but is tolerated as so. "Technically" once the clock has run...it will never be "original" again.

It's pretty interesting though to note that the differences in this case come down to new metal or old metal, since both involve new "Black and white paint"...The old dial will never be "original" again...only the metel(which is covered). So most tend to pay extra(myself inclued)for the "mask" of original.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but last summer I sent out two dials to be restored. Both were porcelain, one slightly larger than the other. One cost almost three times as the other...and I could not tell the quality apart.

I don't know, just a thought and some subjective rambling.

And Thank You very much for the replies.

Greg

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Greg,

Unlike the porcelain dials, I believe there will be a noticable difference in the look of the dials when comparing a new replacement and a M.S. dial.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Have been in contact with The Dial House. The cost is much less than I thought it would be. I will post a photo when the Dial is returned.
Greg

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks for the update Greg. I think we would all like to see the finished product.

Tom

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
An update! After I sent the dial to the Dial House...I e-mailed them to let them know it was on its way FedEx and needed to be signed for. I didn't hear anything until last week. Martha called and said that she had read my e-mail but had not yet recieved the dial! I went online to track it...the tracking stated that there was no one at home but was left in the front door!? When I called FedEx: they told me it didn't have signature required!? After some fuss(I won't mention it here)...They told me they would look into it and I should receive some word within 48 hours. On Friday the 48 hours was up, but I forgot to call. The next day...Martha called me again and told me that FedEx had just delivered the dial to the house next door to hers. Whew!!!

Anyway...now that my heart is at a normal rythmn... Martha was very nice and pleasent to deal with. I will however MAKE SURE the next time that I use USPS as she requested. She says that the mailman knows what to do with her packages. LOL Sounds like our "mailperson".

Greg

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
How pleased am I? Thanks to all for their suggestions and references to Martha Smallwood and "The Dial House"!
greg

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Greg,

The dial looks great!!! So much better than a printed replacement. Thanks for posting the picts. I'm glad that it worked out.

Tom