• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin chimes timing "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've gotten ahold of a Welby division Elgin mantle clock with 3 winding arbors. The clock runs & chimes, but the chimes are triggered about 5 minutes early, going off at 10 minutes, 25 minutes etc. How can I adjust this? Also, there is a small L-shaped rod about 1/8th inch diameter lying in the bottom of the case. Leftover part?

Posts: 42 | Location: Columbiana, Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2018
posted
Take the minute hand off. You should be able to turn the grommet to adjust the position of the hand when it chimes. I've found that the easiest way to do this is to use a small square file, insert it into the hole, hold it with a pliers and move the hand so that it goes forward a little. Make sense?

Posts: 2 | Location: Little Suamico, Wisconsin USA | Registered: May 12, 2006
posted
Got it, sir! The old boy is ticking & ringing fine now! I've never worked on a clock before, how long does this thing run on a wind?

Posts: 42 | Location: Columbiana, Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2018