Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

E. Ingraham Project "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Fixing up an old Ingram Black Mantle(wood) clock and need a couple of "plastic" columns for replacement. Each column is 3 3/8" long X 3/4" wide and 5/16" deep

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
They are available at Timesavers. http://www.timesavers.com/
Bob

Posts: 130 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 25, 2004
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Here is what I got so far. Wish I could find some plastic columns though...maybe at "Eastern" conference in August.

posted
Nice work, Greg! Was the gold incising/stenciling hidden under all that dirt? If so, what did you use to clean it? If not, what did you use to restore it?

Posts: 331 | Location: Camarillo, California USA | Registered: May 03, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Very impressive Greg!

Brief resume' of work history?

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
quote:
Was the gold incising/stenciling hidden under all that dirt?

Some of it was. I use straight Tide laundry detergent and a rag, a lot of rags, and a lot of time, to clean these types of cases. I've tried all kinds of other "antique restorers" and the lot, but I've found this to be the best for me. If you try it you'll see why I don't do very many. It took me about 8 hours of rubbing and buffing for this one. But when finished it will leave what I believe to be the original finish whether shellac or varnish. I've also tried brushes with the tide, but seems like only rags will do it correctly.

The "stenciling" was mostly there, in the form of tiny indentations or "prick" marks. I had to guess the shape in some areas. I used "Liquid Leaf" and a homemade scratch tool to make the marks. For every dip of the tool I could get 2-3 small dots and one dip of the tool for the large dots.

The "legs" were purchased from Timesavers and then repainted with the Liquid leaf to make all of the "gold" pieces match.

The dial was remade on the computer with the aid of Adobe Photoshop. I'm tried an experiment with this one by printing it onto Kodak glossy photo paper...I don't know how long it will last but for now it looks like an enameled dial!

I'm not pleased with the "Marble Columns". I used (again) photo paper, pc, and a texture sample. I'm just not impressed.

That's all I can think of to tell you at this point, except that if you do try the tide...try finding someone to do it with you...makes time faster Roll Eyes

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Greg, outstanding job on that restoration. A tribute to your talent and patience.

I have seen many replaced columns. Usually wood dowl with a faux marble finish. Your idea of photo paper with the marble design is very good. It is probably as substantial as many of the cellluloid columns that were easily broken.

Great job! If I come across a set of original colums I will keep you in mind.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Thanks everyone for the comments