WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Welch Kitchen clock, 'run-away' strike train out of sync. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
How do I align the cam lever, count lever, warning lever, and warning stop pin located on the back gear on a Welch Kitchen clock? The strike train runs continuously once activated. Several unsuccessful attempts have been made attempting to align the warning lever and pin.

I had to re-assemble this movement from scratch when one mainspring let-go on the bench during normal cleaning operations...scattering all the parts. The time train runs normally. However, some of the internal strike levers may have become damaged by this 'event'. I cannot locate a source for replacement parts.

Thanks!

Glenn

Posts: 11 | Location: Saline, Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 09, 2007
Watchmaker
Picture of Leon Harris
posted
Hi Glen, Have you had any luck fixing this problem? I might have some hints for you if you need them.

Posts: 296 | Location: Livingston, Tennessee USA | Registered: May 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Hello, Leon.

No luck yet so any tips you could provide would be very helpful. I am reading some repair books by Steven Conover who covers clock repairs by each maker. So, I'm hoping to find some answers there. Again, any tips would be appreciated.

When you get a chance, wave at the Great Smokies for me.

Thanks.

Glenn

Posts: 11 | Location: Saline, Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 09, 2007
posted
The flat portion of the count lever goes in the center of the deep hour slot on the countwheel.The cam lever goes in the center of the slot in the cam but not neccessarily all the way to the bottom of the slot,maybe half way.The primary warn lever retains the warn pin.adjust the warn lever so you have the thickness of the pin retained by the lever.If you bend the lever too much the warn pin won't unlock.Synchronize all those levers according to this explanation and you should be in the ballpark.
Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks, Bob.

I was using this approach...some texts showed the warning pin 180 degrees out of sync. So, I have tried numerous alignment approaches. One of the largest problems, as it is with every strike movement, is keeping everything in place when the movement is reassembled.

This month's issue of 'Clock Magazine' from England has an excellent article on keeping parts aligned.

Wish me luck.

Glenn

Honorary Life Member
Internet Consultant
posted
Hi Glenn,

I highly recommend the book "This Old Clock" by David Goodman. dsgood at worldnet dot att dot net. You can buy it directly from Dr. Goodman and the price is right.

The book covers American clocks in general, and how to approach and repair them. There are simple drawings for each part to the time, chime, and strike trains, and really explain how and why each thing works. You *will* understand how to put the trains into proper sequence.

A great number of other issues are also explained. Expect to have many "Aha!" moments.

One of the things that really stands out in my mind is David's simple, elegant solution for replacing a broken tooth on a wheel. The repair is nearly invisible, and requires only low temperature, (tix), solder since the mechanical fit is so tight. It isn't tight because or super accurate measurement. The method sort of finds the right dimensions, and you file off the parts that don't fit. I know that reads oddly here, but read it in the book. "Aha!"

Best,
Tom

Posts: 41 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Tom.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I was able to buy the This Old Clock book and really liked the diagrams and explainations. Now, I just have to get to work and fix the clock. I'll make a posting when this has been completed.

More later,

Glenn