Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mainspring (Clock) Winders "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Good afternoon:
I need to purchase a clock mainspring winder and I am hoping to collect some opinions from 185 memebers based on their experience.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Best regards,
Grant

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Hi Grant i have a K and D 128 mainspring winder.I think it is a pretty decent tool.There was a big discussion on it,s use here quite a while back.It takes time to learn to use it , but i think it is a good winder.

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Kev:
Thanks for the input. I have a K&D 128 watch winder as well; however I am looking for a clock winder. Is yours a clock spring winder?
Take care,
gp

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Shawn Johnston
posted
Hi Grant
I use the Ollie Baker winder,I have tried them all and I think the OB is the best for me anyway.You have to purchase the special keys that fit it,but they come as a set with a handle and double as let down keys.Most sizes that you need are included.These are available at all the supply houses or you might even get lucky and find one at a mart or ebay.

Keep Ticking

Cheers Shawn

Posts: 47 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada | Registered: January 08, 2005
posted
Hi Grant:
I have a Webster Mainspring Winder that I purchased at the Mid Eastern Regional a couple of years ago and I'm well pleased with it I gave $90.oo brand new for it after a little haggling.It will do open and barrelled mainsprings with no problem,at least I haven't had a problem with it.
Ollie Baker,Webster,Keystone,they are all great mainspring winders and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.All the clockies have their personal favorites and I'm sure further postings will bare this out.All the manufacturers put their own enhancements in their products so its basically a matter of looking at various types and deciding which one suits your needs.Which ever one you decide on read the instructions thoroughly,you can sure as **** injure yourself quickly if you misuse it.Ain't nothing scarier in clock work than having 96 inches of uncoiled mainspring fly up in your face and believe me its happened to all of us.
I hope this is of some help to you,All the wonderful folks on 185 are always here to help a Fellow 185er. .
Sincerely,Bob F.

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
Sorry Grant i misunderstood you.I just like the Ollie Baker, i know someone who has one and hope to use it soon.I hope when you get yours you could report on it, likes or dislikes.
Smile