Internet Horology Club 185
How much is too much?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6346047761/m/8271013971

April 21, 2006, 17:54
Samie L. Smith
How much is too much?
here is a Seth Thomas movement i am working on ,there is wear on the center wheel hole and on the mainspring arbor..

The Question i have i know will be hard to answer without seeing the movement in person..But how much play or wear can there be in the bushings and the clock still work okay. Smile

April 21, 2006, 17:57
Samie L. Smith
A little closer look at the center wheel.

April 21, 2006, 21:54
Tom Seymour
Samie, You are right, it is hard to tell from the pictures. If you can tell the hole is egg shaped, or if, (with power off train)when you move the train back and forth with your finger you can see lateral movement of the pinion in the hole, I would bush it.

Tom
April 22, 2006, 06:39
Greg Reeves
I agree with Tom.
April 22, 2006, 09:43
Robert Michael Fullerton
It's a funny thing about American clock movements,they always seem to be very pivot friendly.Even with the pivot holes obviously worn they seem to hang in there and keep on ticking.Probably because of the overpowered mainsprings.At any rate the higher up you go on the gear train the more vulnerable your clock is to stoppage.When you have a worn escape wheel pivot hole or worn pallet pivot hole this starts effecting the ability of your escapement to function properly i.e. inconsistant drops.inconsistant locks,and tooth skipping.To sum my very humble opinion up,if the pivot holes in the escapement area look worn don't hesitate for a minute,rebush.If they look a little enlarged on the lower end don't loose any sleep over it.I think some folks get carried away with rebushing.If that pivot hole needs a rebushing it will certainly let you know by giving you the usual tell tale slurry and grime thing around the suspect pivot hole warning sign.That,s usually an obvious sign of excessive wear.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton
April 22, 2006, 10:13
Michael Cherry
I agree with Bob, I'm not as much concerned about winding arbor and center shaft holes as I am about the upper part of the gear trains.
April 22, 2006, 13:11
Samie L. Smith
Thanks everone for the advice being new at clock repair this was something i was not sure about..overall the movement looks good there is about a 1/16 movement in both directions on the center wheel.. Smile