Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

How much is too much? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
here is a Seth Thomas movement i am working on ,there is wear on the center wheel hole and on the mainspring arbor..

The Question i have i know will be hard to answer without seeing the movement in person..But how much play or wear can there be in the bushings and the clock still work okay. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
A little closer look at the center wheel.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Samie, You are right, it is hard to tell from the pictures. If you can tell the hole is egg shaped, or if, (with power off train)when you move the train back and forth with your finger you can see lateral movement of the pinion in the hole, I would bush it.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I agree with Tom.

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
It's a funny thing about American clock movements,they always seem to be very pivot friendly.Even with the pivot holes obviously worn they seem to hang in there and keep on ticking.Probably because of the overpowered mainsprings.At any rate the higher up you go on the gear train the more vulnerable your clock is to stoppage.When you have a worn escape wheel pivot hole or worn pallet pivot hole this starts effecting the ability of your escapement to function properly i.e. inconsistant drops.inconsistant locks,and tooth skipping.To sum my very humble opinion up,if the pivot holes in the escapement area look worn don't hesitate for a minute,rebush.If they look a little enlarged on the lower end don't loose any sleep over it.I think some folks get carried away with rebushing.If that pivot hole needs a rebushing it will certainly let you know by giving you the usual tell tale slurry and grime thing around the suspect pivot hole warning sign.That,s usually an obvious sign of excessive wear.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
I agree with Bob, I'm not as much concerned about winding arbor and center shaft holes as I am about the upper part of the gear trains.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Thanks everone for the advice being new at clock repair this was something i was not sure about..overall the movement looks good there is about a 1/16 movement in both directions on the center wheel.. Smile