Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Removing paint from dial "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I just got this clock off ebay, the picture is borrowed. Anyhow I was surprised to find it has "Coca Cola" on the dial, but it has been painted over. How would you remove the white paint without damaging what is under it?

Andy

Coca Cola Henn Carriage

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

It will be interesting to read the recommendations.

My first thought is to be very careful and test whatever remover you use in a small area. I would think you run the risk of stripping everything if you're not careful.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
This is one of my favorite types of anniversary clocks. I saw a picture of one in an old Horolovar auction catalog from the 1970s, and have been looking for them since, and have bought several with the standard dials. I was looking through a collectors price guide for Coca Cola items, and was surprised to see this one listed with the red Coca Cola decal (or paint?) on the dial. I did notice this one on ebay had a strange look to the dial, but didn't realize it does have Coca Cola on it until I got it. It has white paint completely covering the original red center. I believe the rest of the dial is possibly baked enamel, but I don't know what the Coca Cola part of the dial was, if it is part of the original paint of the dial or an added decal. (It would add $1,000+ to the value with the original Coca Cola design-you know how serious those collectors are). Eek

The clock was made by Edgar Henn in Germany in about 1953 to 1954. I believe the Coca Cola company ordered some as gifts to distributers. Some were sold with standard dials by a company called "Euramca Trading Company", and some were sold by Edgar Henn under their own name, with a different style dial. They are called the "Cinderella Coach" model, I think, and may have been offered with a wall mount bracket. I am looking for that bracket, or even a picture of one.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Nice find Andy. There must be some way to do it. You hear about people who restore paintings by taking off bad repairs and then restoring properly.

I now know that is called the "Cinderella Coach" model. Thanks for that info also.

I am anxious to see the outcome of this project.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002