• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Lathe(s) for clock repair? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Folks, I haven't touched a clock yet; I have been busy reading a lot of material from a variety of sources. I have mainly been reading Steven Conover's "Clock Repair Basics" and then consulting other sources to see what they have to say in agreement with or different from Mr. Conover. Mr. Conover suggests a watchmaker's lathe and a miniature lathe with the indication that one does some things the other cannot. Do you concur with his opinion or do you think there is one lathe that can do all things in the realm of clock (and probably eventually) watch repair? I'd appreciate it if you'd explain your opinion and recommend a machine or (if you do concur) machines that would be good, sound, reasonably priced purchases. And finally, would I get more for my dollar by going to a show to make my lathe(s) purchase? Thanks, Glenn

"In education the teacher and the student are sometimes indistinguishable."

Posts: 6 | Location: West Seneca, New York USA | Registered: February 03, 2007
Picture of William Chappell
posted
Hi Glenn...as mentioned in my other reply to you, I firmly believe the lathe is a critical tool for PROPER clock and watch repair. Although I have both a WW Boley style Jeweler's lathe and a Sherline, I find the WW lathe is used for most of my clock work. Only when the part is too large do I use the Sherline. The WW is very capable of handling clock wheels for burnishing pivots or making special bushings. I was fortunate to obtain my Father's lathe but, if I had to purchase a WW lathe, I would talk to Harvey Schmidt. I know of a lot of people that are very pleased with their purchase from him. I obtained many of my colletts from Harvey at Chapter #1 Marts. His Email is: wwlathlot@aol.com and his web site is: www.toolpin.com

Bill

Posts: 30 | Location: Mountain Top, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: November 20, 2005