Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Problems with a Thomas Mercer marine chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
<Luciano Valle>
posted
Hello,
I have bought a Thomas Mercer marine chronometer (n. 18196): unfortunately the escapament wheel is badly ruined and also its axis has the tiny final parts both broken: of course, the escapament wheel and the axis must be changed.
Then there is also a broken jewel in the axis of the balance (there are two jewels, one is safe the other is broken).
Do you know where can I find these pieces?
Have you any suggestion?
Thanks a lot and best regards,
Luciano

P.S.: Sorry but I am able to add a single picture only not more.

Thomas Mercer Chronometer escapement wheel.jpg

posted
For the pinion, and the wheel you should contact Peter Wibmer in Austria. Maybe he can help you. Wibmer
It is not soo far away from Roma. But I am not sure if he makes chronometer wheels.

Another (maybe better) adress in Europe is Heffels in Germany.
Heffels
He surely can help. With the broken jewels too.
And when I see your damaged wheel, I am sure that you will need much more help.
Regards
Holger

Posts: 16 | Location: Augsburg, Germany | Registered: May 24, 2005
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Welcome Luciano and Holger to Chapter 185, IHC!!

I hope you both will find our friendly local chapter meeting to your liking.

What a great example of what this chapter is all about!! A member from Roma asks a question, a member from Augsburg responds. A member from Michigan adds a comment! Ain't this great!!! Big Grin

Again, welcome to Chapter 185. Lots of great people here. I look forward to more posts - questions and responses!!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Welcome Holger and Luciano.There are many good clock people here to help you and just good people who love this hobby.
Enjoy the site.
Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Luciano, another thought I forgot to add to the post above. To post more than one picture, there are a couple of ways to go. Often the easiest is to just "Reply" to your original post, and put a couple of words for the text, and add a picture.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
<Luciano Valle>
posted
Hello Holger, Tom and Kevin,
thanks a lot for your news.
I have sent mails to Wibmer and Heffels and I hope they can help me to solve the problem.
Tom you are right: Internet may be a true help for everyone and Chapter 185 is really a great forum.
I publish another picture of my chronometer (sorry if it is not so good).
Thanks again and best regards,
Luciano

Thomas Mercer chronometer

Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Try pivotmeister@hotmail.com

They are experts in chronometer repair

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004