• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Definition of Terms--Grandfather Clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a Ridgeway Grandfather clock, cable weights, with a Kieninger movement, into which I am about to install a new Kieninger KSU38 movement--myself. I have all the instructions with which to install, unfortunately the instructions use terms and does not define them. I suppose it'll be kind of obvious when I get inside the clock. Just the same, would anyone here be kind enough to define the following terms for me. Thank you.

Seat Board
Wooden Dial Frame
Dial
Dial Shield
Front Plate
Hooks
Taper Pins
Calendar Gear

Denny G.

Inside Clock

Posts: 7 | Location: Carlsbad, California USA | Registered: July 03, 2006
posted
Seat Board-wood board that the movement is sitting on.
Wooden Dial Frame-The finished wood piece that surrounds the front of the dial-like a picture frame.
Dial-face of the clock with numbers, moon dial, etc.
Dial shield- in your picture (on the very left side) it is the metal piece that is attached to the back of the dial with posts attached to it that go into the holes of the FRONT PLATE of the movement. There should be four posts.
Hooks-the four metal pieces that lock onto the very end of the posts that go through the front plate.
Taper pins-round (old ones were square) brass or steel pins that are used to hold clock plates together,also used to hold various clock parts and levers on their posts.
Calendar gear-the gears that are right behind and attached to the dial and in some cases on the front plate of the movement-used to advance the calendar wheel.
I hope my descriptions help you, if not perhaps someone else can define the parts better.
Mike C.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
posted
Mike, thank you! Looks good to me. Tomorrow I start working on her.

Denny G.

posted
"Tomorrow I start working on her".

Dennis, one more thing I forgot to mention-it's a HE!
Mike C.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
posted
SmileI got it, I got it--Grandfathers must be a "He!"Smile Thanks again, Mike!

Denny G.