Internet Horology Club 185
Ultrasonic Cleaners

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6346047761/m/7391046841

June 30, 2005, 09:18
Edward Nickel
Ultrasonic Cleaners
I am looking at buying an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning clock parts (1850-1910) vintage. Is there one or two brands out there that surpass the others. Also, what is the advantage of having a cleaner with a heater as opposed to not having a heater. Thanks
July 02, 2005, 09:46
Michael Cherry
Hello Edward, I have an ELMA LC 130 H, H designates 'with heater'. The inside dimensions are 12 by 9 1/2 by 8. Heat is a catalyst, increases cleaning ability and really shortens the time it takes to clean. If the plates are too big to be immersed under the solution, then I use a stainless steel tank, heat the solution with a hot plate to about 110-120 degrees F of course! I use DEOX 007 from Merrit's. It's practically odorless and does a great job. NO AMMONIA. Baskets are expensive so I but them at flea mkts. or restaurant supply houses or maybe find a restaurant liquidation sale. Then I hang them from stainless wire. Don't ever let anything touch the bottom of the tank while in operation. It will shorten the life of the machine. Also, if you have a well, make sure your water is soft!!! I hope more people out there have more suggestions or comments about my ideas, I,m open to new ideas. My motto is improvise, improvise, improvise. Yours in horology, Mike.
July 03, 2005, 13:34
Edward Nickel
Thanks Michael. Your info was very helpful to me.