• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

cleaning mechanical movements "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
will it be a problem to clean a mechanical movement with alcohol and a airbrush?i can see dirt and hair in the movement. i will take the movement out of the case and take it outside and clean the movement with alcohol blown in to the movement at low pressure with an airbrush.thanks paul pescude@juno.com

Posts: 10 | Location: Fort Myers, Florida USA | Registered: April 09, 2007
posted
A waste of time Paul.Not only is alcohol a poor substitute for the proper cleaning fluid but in all candor the only way to properly clean a mechanical movement is to dissassemble it.you can then either clean your parts in an ultrasonic machine,hand clean them with the proper clock cleaning solution available from all the suppliers,or if push comes to shove you can take some brake cleaner and clean your movement parts but no I wouldn,t go the alcohol route.
Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004