• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas 48R movement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I cleaned and re-oiled an old mantle clock using a Seth Thomas 48R movement. It seemed to be running strong and accurate until just before 1:00. At that time the clock would stop. Pushing the minute hand forward met with quite a bit of resistance, but once the resistance stopped (at about 10 min. after the hour), the clock would run fine until it reached just before 1:00 hour.
Funny thing, but when I manually move the minute hand right up to 1:00, the gong would strike twice.
Everything looks to be in order. I'm new at this and quite perplexed. Any ideas? Thanks.

Posts: 4 | Location: Orange, Massachusetts | Registered: October 21, 2009
posted
GREETINGS JOHN, YOU MUST REMEMBER THAT WHEN YOU MOVE THE MINUTE HAND MANUALLY ANY RESESTANCE YOU FEEL IS FROM THE CLUTCH AND NOT THE TRAIN, IT SEEMS YOU MAY HAVE A LEVER PROBLEM, THE LEVERS THAT BRING THE STRIKE TRAIN TO WARNING HAVE TO WORK FREELY, IS THE HOUR HAND PUSHED AWAY FROM THE BACKSIDE OF THE MINUTE HAND? ALSO DOES IT ONLY HAPPEN AT 1:00? EDDIE

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
Hello Eddie, The hour hand is not touching the minute hand at any time. The ONLY time the clock stops is just before the 1:00 strike. I thought about the lever problem, but if that were the case, wouldn't the movement stop at every hour when the lever is at the same position? I must be overlooking something!

posted
GREETINGS JOHN, YOU NEED TO CHECK THE RACKTAIL TO SEE IF IT IS FINDING THE 1:00 POSITION ON THE RACK IF NOT YOU WILL HAVE TO REPOSITION THE RACK CLOSER TO THE 1:00 POSITION. AFTER THE CLOCK STRIKES 12:00 THROUGH THE MOTION OF THE TRAIN IT WILL CLIMB TO THE TOP OF THE SNAIL TO PREPARE TO STRIKE THE NEXT HOUR POSITION IT CLOSE TO THE LONG SIDE BUT EXTENDING PAST THE SIDE ABOUT 3/32 OF AN INCH AND THEN TAKE IT THROUGH AN ENTIRE STRIKE CYCLE 1 THROUGH 12 BY HAND. EDDIE

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
Okay, I will give that a try. I'm in between raking leaves and general yard work. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks very much.

posted
Eddie, I did exactly as you instructed. I believe that corrected my problem. The clock ran fine without any problems through the night hours and it's still going strong. Thank you for the help. This has been my first post to IHC185. I'm looking forward to spending some time here learning from the vast pool of information this website has to offer. Thanks again.