Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Regualtor Clock The Spring Is Unwound? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Just noticed my Regulator clock wasn't working. Opened case and see the spring is unwound. I haven't taken dial off yet. What happened and is there a simple solution? Thanks.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
IHC Member 43
posted
Mark, What kind of regulator clock are we talking about? Could be a broken spring, the hole end could have torn off of the arbor or the arbor hook let loose. Either way it will probably require a new spring and some work plus a cleaning and lubing. Also could possibly be that the click or click rivet failed.

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Sorry too so long to respond. It does click. Seems to me that spring isn't connected. I am posting pics. Is there a way to get the spring reconnected without taking it apart? Thanks for the responses!

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Best bet is to take it apart and see exactly what is going on. The end of the spring, I take it, is not catching on the winding arbor. The end of the spring may be damaged, or the hook on the arbor may be damaged (less likely of the two). Or, the endo of the spring may just have to be adjusted to fit the arbor.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hello Mark,

Nice closeup photograph..A couple of items...

The spring looks like it has alot of dirt on it. If it is unbroken and unhooked, it would be worth unwinding/cleaning/oiling and recoiling it.

Is there an oil buildup on main wheel winding ratchet? It looks discolored - did someone spray the movement down with DW40?

Andy Dervan

Posts: 53 | Location: Grosse Pointe, Michigan USA | Registered: March 07, 2004