Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gilbert Mantle Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I would like to get info on this clock and I also have a question on a slight problem I am having with it.. First. It is has a 1914 and 267 marked on the movement.

Second. I cleaned and oiled the movement. It will stay running for about 12 hours and then quit. It usually stops at the half hour chime (ding).. Any advice

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bruce,

Usually when it stops on the half hour, the strike is putting more pressure on the train than the train can overcome. You have cleaned and oiled the movement. However, there seems to be a loss of power somewhere. One way that can happen is if the movement needs bushing. Generally one that old needs some bushing done to get it in good running order. Because it runs for twelve hours - then quits, I'm thinking that the stronger end of the spring can handle the problem, but when it gets past its max power, then the problem is more than it can handle. Is is 8 day or 30 hour?

Is the half hour strike a passing strike, or part of the countwheel set up? I have seen very strong springs put on the hammer of a passing strike, so that is stops the clock from continuing.

Because it always happens related to the strike, I am guessing that the problem is not the spring.

Without looking at it - these are just guesses. Hope they help some.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

[This message was edited by Tom Seymour on February 17, 2004 at 20:00.]

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Tom,

Thanks for the information. I watched the movement for about 20 minutes and noticed the pendulum swing appeared off center. with a small tweak to the escapement arm (???) and the use of a motorhome level I was able to get the clock running. It has operated flawlessly since.

This is my third foray into mantle clocks and by far this was the hardest to figure out but the easiest to fix (go figure).. Bruce

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Way to go Bruce!!! Tracking down the problem is half the fun!!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002