Tools
Reply to Post

direct read clock repair "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hi,
I was asked to look at this by a friend. I explained that I don't do clocks, but wound up with it anyway.

The small knob on the top, (please excuse my clock terminology,) is broken off with the threaded part still in it.

I am hoping that one of you clock experts can assist me in doing a repair on it. I am not sure if the broken threaded section is part of the center arbor, or if it is threaded into it. I attempted to file a slot in it, hoping that I could unscrew it. I was thinking of soaking the knob in alum.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

c1

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
If you find out the "fix" will you please post here? I'd like to see it.

greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Scott,
If it's any help, I think these were made by Lux. I have a clock like it (somewhere) in the original box. I have never worked on one. I always think of them as a tape measure clock.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Scott,

I've not worked on one of theze before, but I would be willing to bet that the threaded portion was originally part of the main shaft. Most likely it is of a smaller diameter than the remaining portion of the shaft. So the main shaft could be tapped out to the same thread, a screw cut off and threaded in to repair. The hardest part would be getting the broken off screw out of the nut.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
Hello. I have done several of these kind of brok en "bolts" by carefully drilling a smaller hole into the broken off peice. Then take an Easy Out available at most hardware stores which when turned backwards and the left hand threads bite and most of the time you can turn it right out. Maybe you can put a few drops of penetrating oil on the stub so it will turn as easy as possible.
Hope this helps.
Moses

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
SmileThanks for the suggestions. I will start on it this weekend.

Honorary Life Member
Internet Consultant
posted
I know this is late but:

If it's a steel screw broken off in brass, you can dissolve the steel. Start with steaming hot water and make a saturation solution of alum. Mix in as much as the water will take. Pour it into a jar, add the part, and close the jar.

Put the jar someplace warm for a few days. The steel will have turned into a sort of grit that can be cleaned out with a toothpick. The brass will be untouched.

Best,
Tom

Posts: 41 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002