Internet Horology Club 185
Seth Thomas 44E movement

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6346047761/m/6641081902

February 13, 2006, 09:20
Greg Reeves
Seth Thomas 44E movement
I was wondering about the lever shown on the back plate of this movement. The only thing I can figure out is that it provides a way to "silence" the strike.

I don't remember seeing this before...any ideas?

greg

February 13, 2006, 10:32
J. Bruce Weeks
Hi Greg,

There was another post elsewhere about this. I beleive it is a weigh to insure the return of the strike locking lever.

Bruce
February 13, 2006, 11:10
Greg Reeves
I'll try to find it. You wouldn't happen to know the "heading" or which site it was on?
February 13, 2006, 17:35
Greg Reeves
I've tried searching both this board and the green board, to no avail.

I've been studying the situation and found that object will not reach the "locking wire". It will however stop the "lifting lever/unlocking wire and warning stop wire" from falling below the "center arbor". Without it the lifting wire falls too low for the center arbor lift wire to
engage. I know it sounds strange(at least to me), but could this be its use?

In the photo: the "unlocking wire" is outlined in purple and "the object" is outlined in black.

February 14, 2006, 09:20
J. Bruce Weeks
I looked back and could not recognize the title of the question that was posed. But you are probably right. Now that I think back, the weighted arm alolws the hands to be turned back without injury, then returns the lever to start position.
February 14, 2006, 10:29
Greg Reeves
Thanks for your help J. Bruce!
February 21, 2006, 17:41
George R. Edwards
Hello Gregg....I just had a Seth with a similar one. It holds the strike lever in the proper position to engage the hand pin.

If not engaged the lever swings under the hand arbor and will not allow it to strike.

February 22, 2006, 06:56
Greg Reeves
thanks...sort of an odd contraption, isn't it.