• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Original Spring Sizes for Ansonia Porcelin "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've had a nice Ansonia porcelin Peconic for several years and have taken it down for cleaning. Upon disassembly, I found that it had two different size springs. A 3/4 x 0.016" spring on the chime side, and a 5/8 x 0.013" on the time. Both springs are to be replaced. What would have been the original size I wonder?

I appreciate any help -

Posts: 11 | Location: Williamsburg, Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Hi Jim,
I have an Ansonia movement from a porcelain clock that has the same dimension springs. I also have an 1890s Ansonia kitchen clock with the same springs so I would think they are the original size. I am not sure of the length though.
HTH
Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
Thanks Joe for looking. Are the springs 3/4" wide as are many American clocks, or might they be 5/8" wide. This is an Open Escapement and the 5/8 x 0.013 spring kept the time side running just fine so my inclination is to use that same strength of spring (probably 96" long) for both the time and chime trains. However, the purist in me wants to put it back the way it was meant to be.

Posts: 11 | Location: Williamsburg, Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Hi again Jim,
I guess I was not too clear in my reply. The springs in my 3 Ansonia clocks(I looked at another one) are the same as in your clock, 5/8 X .013 and 3/4 X .016. I am not sure of the length as I don't have any disassembled so I can measure. Sorry if I confused you in the first reply. Just a thought, if you measure from the great wheel to the spring hook on the winding arbors I think you will find that the clock was made for two different width mainsprings. A 3/4" spring will not hook properly on the time side.
Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
Thanks Joe - that makes a lot of sense. I had not suspected that the two sizes were indeed original. I appreciate your help a great deal.

Jim