• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

anniversary clock running fast "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have this anniversary clock.The suspension spring was changed and acording to the horolovar guide the right suspension spring was installed.
The weights have only about 180 degrees rotation, when they should be about 270.Which i believe is right.I was wondering if this rotation that it has now is the cause of the clock going fast or the suspension spring needs to be replaced for a thinner one.
What are your thoughts on this fellow clock people?
Smile

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Kevin, in my opinion, if adjusting the rating nut won't slow it down sufficiently then a few passes at a time w/a fine emery paper over the spring will weaken it and likely slow it down...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Kevin, is this the same clock from the Aug. Post?

Has been cleaned, pegged and oiled?
Check the mainspring?
Check the pivots and arbors for bends and polished?
Check teeth on escape wheel.
Spacing between fork and pin?

Have you been following the "my" post on the Kieniger Obergfell clock?

Greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Hi Kevin,
Assuming everything else is setup properly you can get more rotation by raising the fork slightly. This gives more impulse resulting in greater rotation. I have gained 90 degrees rotation by raising the fork as little as 1/8".
Good Luck,
Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
Joe, Greg and Jim.This is not the same clock as my August posting.I am going to raise the fork up a bit and hopefully with more rotation it will slow down the clock.If this does not help, either thin the spring or go one size thinner.Either way i am not giving up.Greg i have been following your posts.these clocks will challenge you to the end when you get them going well.
The clock in my August posting is running well and keeping decent time.

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Let us know how you made out.

Greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003