Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Emes movement winding setup "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi All,
Could anyone enlighten me on the purpose and setup of the two wheels driven by the winding arbour on my Emes (german)52 movement, as shown in the attached photo.
Any help is appreciated
Regards
Peter Cork

Posts: 12 | Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia | Registered: December 25, 2006
posted
Hi Pete:
Those two gears or wheels you are referring to are called Geneva Stops.They are placed on the winding arbor to restrict the amount of winding which in turn lessens the strain on your mainsprings.What happens is,as you wind your arbor both those wheels will mesh together perfectly until that long tooth on the arbor wheel synchronizes with the shallow pocket on the plate wheel.That position will effectively prohibit anymore winding.Most folks familiar with Geneva Stops normally wind their springs up tight and then back them off maybe two revolutions.They then position their stops so that the binding position is the bottoming out point.Pretty simple but for some reason people struggle with them and as a consequence they remove them.You see quite a few Antique Clocks here in the states with the stops removed.
I hope this is of some help to you.
Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
Thanks for your information. Once I knew the name for the wheel arrangement, (Geneva stop), I found more information on the net.
Regards,
Peter Cork
p.s.
"Newcastle" is a great place

Posts: 12 | Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia | Registered: December 25, 2006