• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

8 day Ingraham clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
If someone would have a diagram of this movment which shows the wheels and working parts i would be thankful.I took apart a clock of this kind and did make some sketches but obviously not good enough.
All and any help is always apreciated.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Kevin, is this a time and strike mvt? If you could post a picture of the front plate I may be able to help you. I might have one here like it I can photo. It is probably the strike side that is giving you a bump in the road. They can be quite frustrating. I will be glad to help in any way I can.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
This is my first attempt at posting pics since the changes here.I hope it works and my file is not too large.
This is the front of the clock plates, i have put some wheels in place but i am not 100 percent sure that i am right, my notes were not great and i did not have my digital camera with me at the course when i took the movement apart.

ingraham clock

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...now Kevin, you'll get through this...just take your time...this strike side will be the more complex side as you have to be sure that the three levers/hooks have to 'coordinate'...be careful w/the springs and leave the C clamps or holders in place until all is assembled...the Ingraham is a strong and very reliable movement...you'll get it together...it would help a lot to have another clock movement at hand even though it may be a different 'make' since they share at lot of common principles...

Jim
IHC#234

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Thanks Jim, it seems a little harder than watches but i am sure it is similar.
I do have a sessions 8 day strike and time that i can look at.It is in the case so when i look at the back of it i have to turn it around in my mind to visualize it.
Another question , i need to broach some bushings and i do not have broaches at home.One of the other guys in my course has some which i borrowed before.Any ways could i grind the cutting end of the twist drill off and use this to broach the bushing to the correct size.I was concerned the finish left by the twis tdrill would be too rough for the pivot to run in.
I would liketo partially assemble the plates now but i have one bushing that i put in, in the class that has not been broached to size.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Kevin,
I just looked in my drawers of movements and found one similar to yours. It is dirty, but I will take some pictures of the movement. I may send them to you via email, since I don't think pictures of a grubby movement will be of much general interest.

Starting the pictures now. Look for them in your email in about 10 min.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks for the pictures Tom, you are a good person for helping others here.

posted
I am almost ready to put the ingraham together for a test run, but it did not have a crutch or suspension spring or pendulum.
Is there some way i can still test it with out these parts?
The movement was loaned to me by the instructor.
I also thought one thing disapointing is fixing and working on this old movement and it is my first one and i guess i will have to give it back when i am done.
I am repairing the trundles on the regulator pinion.I have some pivot wire and i will cut it to length and i thought put a small amount of solder on the ends of the wires to hold it in place.
Is this a good repair or should i use a punch of some kind to close the edge of the hole? Confused Frown Eek

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Kevin,
The wires in the lantern pinions were originally held in place by closing the hole with a punch. If you can do it that way, then great. I have seen some very bad soldering attempts. If there is not enough brass left to close the hole with a punch, then a dot of epoxy will hold it in place, and not have the unsightly look of a hunk of solder, and it reversable.

The crutch is attched to the verge. If you do not have the verge, then the movement will just spin when you give it power.

Suspension springs are easy enough to get, and for the purposes of testing whether or not it will run, not accurate timekeeping you don't have to be fussy.

How much time do you have before you have to give the movement back? I have some of these parts that I can send you to check out the movement if you wish.

Tom

posted
Kevin, The escpement is the heart of your movement. If the escaement wheel is losey goosey you will need to rebush as the drop between the palets and the wheel is very small.
As stated the strike is the most difficult to
assemble because of the wires or levers. I could send you drawing I made of a movement like you are working on but I am not sure it would help as I have my on system, let me know if you would like to try.

Posts: 14 | Location: Arden, North Carolina USA | Registered: January 15, 2004
posted
Clock is back together, next class on sunday.Still can,t get some of the striking mechanism quite lined up.
Also how would i be able to tell the weight of the pendulum to use for this clock?

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Kevin,
Laying out the strike train begins with looking very carefully at it before you take it apart, That having been said, unless you get your hands on the loose parts and try to get it together again, you really have no idea of all the things you should have looked for. You are right on track.

I will add some photos to the album to help with the set up.

Tom

posted
Thanks Tom, i don,t have any left over parts, but some things are not lining up, will have a look at your pictures again, thanks.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The pictures are now in the album. Let me know if these help.

Tom

posted
Thanks Tom, after i last posted i looked at the pictures and found what i did wrong, i will chck the pictures again today and confirm what i thought.
Once again thanks to a great guy for helping me.