Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bushings in a Waterbury mov't "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I've never seen this type of bushing before, can anyone explain?

First, every pivot hole bushed, and everyone in this same manner. To me it looks as though there is a bushing within a bushing.

Thanks
greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
This photo is of the inside of the plate. You may notice too, that there is a lot of soldiering that has been done.

posted
Greg interesting enough i have a mantle, Waterbury with the same bushings they look the same as yours.
very interesting, was this done by the factory?

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Actually I wondered about that myself. It was the massive amounts of solder that led me away from that direction.

Does yours have the "normal" looking bushings on the inside of the large ones?

greg

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I also should mention that this is the "Ewing" model from 1905. Which as it happens happens to be the birth year of the father of the customer.

Greg

posted
Hi Greg:
My own opinion,judging from the quality of that soldering job as posted in your pictures I would say that it was done by someone with a great deal of soldering experience,very clean and neat.Looks factory to me.In my own humble opinion most clocksmiths although competant at soldering would have a tough time achieving that level of application.There again this is just my own opinion.
Your Friend,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
I have seen this bushing style in steel plated clocks. Not soldered but machine swedged in place. Must have been a brass shortage at the time it was made as this has to be a more expensive manufacturing method.

Just did a waterbury with steel plates and this style brass bushings. Still required 3 replacement bushes. If there were no brass bushes, it probably would not have survived this long because someone would have said it cost too much to re-bush the whole clock (steel on steel would only make maybe 15 or 20 years even under ideal lubrication).

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
posted
J. Bruce is correct,and if you look close at your plates you will find they are actually steel,I have one of these in for a customer right now.What an ugly mess they did on the one I am working on,if I didn't know it was factory I would be disappointed with the previous repairman.The plates seem all warped from the process, at least on mine.Really don't even want to put my name on this one in fear of someone thinking I did that mess later down the road.Movement is from the same era as yours,came out of a kitchen clock.Just my opinion,Tin

Posts: 22 | Location: Camdenton, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: February 19, 2005