• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

8 day sesions clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I havea 8 day sesions clock and it runs well for about 7 hours then stops.I notice it usually stops around the hour or near the half hour.Also it looks like maybe the mainspring on the time side, when it unwinds it may be touching the back plate.Wondering if this might be causing the clock to stop.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Troubleshooting things like this is a bit tricky without having it in hand, BUT..if it is stopping just before (you said around so I am not sure) the hour and the half hour, then it may be the strike train that is stopping things on the get ready.

Sometimes the lifting and locking levers have springs to keep them in place. If these springs are too strong, then too much pressure is put on the train and it can stop the clock.

A starting place anyway!?!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...again like Tom, not having the movement in hand it is often difficult to diagnose but from the symptoms you suggest I would guess that something is preventing the spring from exerting sufficient torque on the train after approx 7 hours...maybe the plates are 'cocked'...when the movement stops after the approx 7 hour run, try lifting the verge off the escape wheel to see if there is still 'hard' power in the timeside train...just some thoughts...

Jim
IHC#234

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Thanks Tom and Jim, i will have a look and see what happens.

posted
Update on this clock.After wondering what was causing the stoppage, i examied where it was sitting.It was sitting level on the length of the clock but on the width it was not.I had it sitting on the top portion of my closet, in the foyer.The drywall was near level near the edge but as you went further out it became quite unlevel.I moved the clock to my glass coffee table, wound it and it ran 2 weeks, wound it twice of course.It struck when it was supoosed to and did not slow down and stop.
I am happy it was not a more serious problem. Smile

posted
My brother in law really liked this clock so i sold it to him as i have one very similar to it.It is in it,s new home and is running well. Wink

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Great job Kevin!!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002