Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Laurie Penman "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Are any of you familiar with the AWI Laurie Penmen clockmaking correspondence course? I would be interested in any opinions. I don't know a lot about clocks, but would like to learn.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Scott, You proabably know the following:

The AWI Home Study Course in Clock Repair package contains all the material and information necessary to successfully learn the fundamentals of clock repair, including The Clock Repairer’s Handbook by Laurie Penman and a one-year subscription to Steven G. Conover’s monthly publication, Clockmaker’s Newsletter. Course participants will be invited to attend a 2-day meeting at AWI to confer with Mr. Penman and meet other students.
AWI Members - $750
Non-members - $825
Contact Nancy Wellmann, AWI Education Coordinator E-mail: nwellmann@awi-net.org Phone Toll Free 1-866-367-2924 ext. 303 or (513) 367-9800

I have not seen the course materials, but have seen other AWI instructional publications and they are very good. The materials produced by Steven Conover are also very good, and I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Hope this helps a bit.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Thanks Tom. I'm going to do it.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Good luck Scott. Keep us posted.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Scott, i too would be interested in updates as well.I hear clock couses are very expensive and was wondering what it is like so i can compare to the courses here. Smile

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
I received the box today. In it is a Hermle movement and the first two lessons with "The Clock Repairer's Handbook." I'll start working on this before the weekend is up.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

This sounds like an interesting course! I too will be interested in your impressions, Scott.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002