Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1990 Cuckoo with very slow Music Box and Dancers "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello!

I have been working on a 1990 cuckoo clock. It has 3 weights, and the movement and cuckoo part works fine. However, I'd love to hear any input any of you may have on the music box and dancer part of the clock, both driven by the third weight.

On the hour, the music box and dancers are supposed to start moving. I have been able to get it to work, but it goes VERY slowly. The clock's owner insists that when the clock was new, the music box played the tune more quickly.

I have carefully cleaned both the dancer gear assembly and the music box gears. However, the music box gears appear to me to be somewhat "cheap", because some gears are made of plastic, and it does not appear to be practical to really take it apart.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice regarding how to get the music box to work better. It seems very finicky. It is surprising to me how much resistance the music box has.

Thank you,
-Joe

Posts: 13 | Location: Nevada City, California U.S.A. | Registered: January 13, 2005
posted
Joe,
It is likely the music box movement is worn. If you check the side shake in the drum arbor, you will probably find looseness. Also take a look (with your magnifier) at the pivots holes in the governor. Likely they are worn.
If you do not find these places to be worn, check the depth of the governor assembly against the drum wheel/gear. If the governor is set too deep against the drum wheel, excessive friction will occur.
Replacement music box movements are sold by Black Forest Imports and some of the other major suppliers. Many times the replacement is not available in the same tune as the original. They are also quite costly.
I have repaired many of these music movements by bushing at the drum arbor ends and replacing the governor unit. Assembly always seems to be a tedious endeavor that eats up lots of time.
The cost of properly servicing a music box movement can almost equal that of the clock portion of a cuckoo.
It is no wonder that fancy (worn out) cuckoo clocks seem to turn up at yard sales, etc., as bait for bargain hunters.
Best Regards,
Dick

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Thank you for your reply, Dick! I was reluctant to attempt to repair the music box movement, but I bet you are right about it being worn. I will look up the cost of replacing it. Because the music box movement is so tiny, it seems tricky to repair. Thanks again for your feedback.
Regards,
-Joe

Posts: 13 | Location: Nevada City, California U.S.A. | Registered: January 13, 2005
posted
Joe,
There is another way of looking at that music box movement. If you ruin it, then you will have to replace it. If you don't ruin it, then you probably will have to replace it.
If you decide to take a try to rebuild it and need some help, let me know. I should be able to work you through it via email if you have the time.
Best Regards,
Dick

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Dick,
You are very kind to offer to help me with this process. Thank you! I appreciate your perspective.

Right now it is more an issue of time--I don't want to spend a bunch of time trying to fix that music box movement. If I had more free time, I would like to take a crack at it. But most likely, I'll just replace it.

Thanks again for your input!
-Joe

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Welcome Joseph!!

Dick has given some very good advise. (It seems so because I agree completely. Big Grin)

Most repairmen I know, would replace rather than try to bush the music box.

Again, Welcome to IHC Joseph!!! Good to have you aboard!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks a lot, Tom! I look forward to sharing info and tips, and asking more questions too! I appreciate the friendly atmosphere.